Power wiring for AD410

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Power wiring for AD410

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes understand and as I said before when the AD410 first came out I mentioned to the Amcrest Support that 12vdc was supported but I didn't find it on the Data sheet, In the link and the page you showed I do see they have since updated that info with 12vdc and 24vdc as also being supported... I hadn't looked at it for the last while my copy that I DL when I seen it the first time has that data omitted... I am glad to see more info then what was shown in more then 2 years with the AD110 seeing it still don't say in the data sheet off the web that it works with 12vdc lol.. Yet I have had mine working on 12vdc for a good while now...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
hendrichmh

Post by hendrichmh »

I recently purchased a AD410 doorbell camera from Amcrest. I am having trouble getting it to work when powered by the house doorbell. The doorbell camera is not working-it is offline.

The camera worked perfectly over several days when powered via micro USB 5v adapter. However, when using the house doorbell chime transformer for power the AD410 becomes unstable and unusable. I reset it and it works for a brief period of time and then it goes offline.

I have installed the chime kit provided by Amcrest.

The house doorbell uses a transformer rated 16v/30va.

Can you help?

Thank you.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@hendrichmh Hello and Welcome to the forum..

So there is something things I am not sure is related however I guess I have to ask. When you first connected the camera to the 16vac transformer was it while connected to the indoor doorbell? Also did you use the Chime Kit at the same time?

I can't say for sure seeing I don't work for/at Amcrest so I am only going by what I have read. It seems like the camera might have some power issues when connected to a 16 or 24vac transformer and not setup to the doorbell.

So it is hard to explain on a Forum, but there are some things you can do to test that your Doorbell is in fact getting the 16vac needed by your transformer, If you have a Meter you can check the voltage at the doorbell camera, It should read 16 to 18v coming from a Transformer. If you don't have 16 to 18v at the camera it will no power on..

Then you will need to test the Voltage at the Transformer, IF it reads 16 to 18v then there is a bad wire somewhere

If you are not getting any voltage at the Doorbell then there will be or should be non at the indoor chime. I mean if there was the chime would just be going off all the time..

So if you have a Meter I would test that you have Voltage at the doorbell and the transformer. Also if you test the transformer and it is 13 or lower I would unplug it and trace your wiring looking for a short. However a short will no last long because as the voltage drops the current raises and the wire if nothing else will act like a fuse..
Be Safe
hendrichmh

Post by hendrichmh »

The answers to your question are:

When you first connected the camera to the 16vac transformer was it while connected to the indoor doorbell?- Yes, the camera and the indoor doorbell were connected to the 16vac transformer.

Also did you use the Chime Kit at the same time?- Yes it was.

What is inside the chime kit? Is it required if the goal is to power both the doorbell camera and the home indoor doorbell chime?

Thank you very much!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

The Chime Kit is 100% needed if your going to power a Doorbell chime with it yes.

What is in the Chime Kit, Well it is purely a Circuit that will help the Amcrest Doorbell Camera be powered when connected to a Doorbell Chime. There is no buzzer or chime in that Box it is Purely a small Circuit.
Be Safe