Power supply (Transformer) for AD110

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Power supply (Transformer) for AD110

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello all.. So I know that the data sheet says that you can use 16vac or 24vac Transformers however after some testing I would have to say STICK WITH 16vac even a 16.5vac is much more stable then most 24vac transformers...

Here is what I know (Did)

For a while I was testing on a 16.5vac 30va transformer even using 2 camera on the same transformer I added in a Digital Door bell (Chime) Testing how much power I can use and so on things were going great..

However while I have used another transformer that was 24vac 100va even used it to test some of my friends systems however these were on systems as stand alone and 1 did have a Chime that was 24vac only with no worries... Things worked well.. Also used it to smoke one of my own doorbells that was only 16vac 10va power required... Did this because other were talking about using 24vac supplies and gave word of Caution on checking your doorbells because most of them require only 16vac or even 10vac..

However today I thought ok lets try this Transformer i own.. I have only used the 16vac output it has 3 total.. 8, 16 and 24vac... So I removed the Amcrest Chime kit, doorbell and added Chime Kit to the Transformer and then wired in the camera only did this on the 24vac side of the transformer..

WORD OF CAUTION!!!!!!!

Hooking up the Transformer and yes I know it is only 24vac 30va and wanted to test it out as there was another person on here that said that was what they were going to use and to be honest that falls short of the 1.875 amps and only is 1.666666 amps.. Mind you I tested this with my Volt and AMP meters active so I could watch as things are going as they are going...

First off Camera Powered up rather fast.. I didn't mark down any of the numbers but I did see one that made me worry and after only 4 pushes of the Camera button I removed this from the system...
Voltage at the transformer was 25.24vac and didn't go much above 150ma on stand by that wasn't what worried me.. When I pressed the button on the camera it rang my phone, however my amp meter jumped to 10.35amps and volts dropped to 2.1vac then voltage came back up to 25.24vac and amps went to 0 then came back to around 150ma again... Asking myself why did I push the button 4 times before I pulled it.. I wanted to make sure I was seeing the numbers right as I could have mis understood what I seen as the numbers go rather fast...

NO big deal right? WRONG!!!! So i connected the Chime box back to the doorbell I was using and move the wires over to the 16vac screws and wired all back up to my Doorbell and now the doorbell just keeps ringing... So I pulled all the wiring and wired it again and sure enough the system just makes the doorbell keep ringing and the camera never loads to the Connected to network... Took it all apart again added new wires to make sure other ones were not damaged turned it all back on and just Rings... So here is the odd part... Taking the doorbell off and connecting the chimebox to the supply and connecting the camera back in the camera loads...

So I did reconnect the Doorbell again and it was just ringing non stop so while i don't know what the Amcrest Chime Kit is? I know that it is to keep you from damaging your Transformer when you short it out when you press the button... However there is another function inside that box as well.. my guess has something to do with Voltage distribution for the doorbell as well.. I did test the doorbell and it does function on a normal doorbell button... So I know the camera is good sadly what ever the extra function within the chime kit I am going to guess that it has failed into the Closed position.. If it was in the open the camera would still work just wouldn't send power to the doorbell even when pressed... I am going to guess it is some type of IC Relay that has failed to open

By the way... If math does me right the reason that the power supply that is only 30va aka 1.666666 amps was able to even get to 10amps is because the lower the voltage the Higher the Current.. Just like a 30va 16vac transformer is 1.875amps where 24vac 30va is only 1.66666.. and at the 2volt it could have made it to over 14 amps.. Sadly in the end trying to run this camera on a 24vac 30va transformer has damaged the Amcrest Chime kit.. So I thought I would pass this along to other so they don't damage their units...

What I learned.. Don't run this camera on anything other than 16vac
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Danual

Re: Power supply (Transformer) for AD110

Post by Danual »

Trying to find a suitable supply in the uk, Amcrest recommended their plug from their web store (US) over $50 shipping :o
Also looks like it’s 18v 500mA
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Personally I wouldn't use a 18v 500ma supply.. While that might be ok there are better options I am sure closer to you then having to pay 50 shipping for something that is only going to be used for 1 item...

What you need to know is that 16vac 30va is good.. I have 2 doorbells and I have setup and recorded using both with only 1 power supply however to be fair that supply is only for the front door on normal use.. IT is a 16.5 vac 2.4 amp power supply and is larger then stated however to be fair the second one I use on a 16vac 30va and I have tested that both will work with it as well however it isn't very happy about it under load with both so to keep things happy I have them under normal use each with their own supply for power and they both work without issues..
Be Safe
Danual

Post by Danual »

Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

It does fit having good stat values. Windings look good also
Be Safe
wallace4793

Post by wallace4793 »

Hi,

So im looking for the same thing, I see the other UK post is planning to use a external transformer. Forgive me, im not particualrly skilled in electrics but I have been looking at a integrated plug option - I asume this is OK too? They are advertised on amazon as doorbell compatible.

Another question I have is Amcrest are recommeding 18v 0.5a.... but for 30VA I would need something like 24v 1.5amp - is this correct? Will the 18v 0.5a be OK to run the doorbell on its own... and also using the chime kit?

Third question - can anyone reccommend a chime kit for the UK?

John

PS this is mt first amcrest item and post on the forum... the review are good so fingers crossed :-)
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

Sadly I don't know enough about the UK voltage or the issues that cause people to have a hard time finding a Transformer to power the doorbell..

I personally have blown up enough Chime kits to tell people try to stay away from 24vac power.. 16 or 16.5 is best and even 18vac from Amcrest is fine... However I have personally Repaired 8 Chime Kits now before it was only 7 however last month had the pleasure of repairing a 8th one... While it will not cause your system harm as long as your not trying to use it with a Indoor Ringer.. 24vac 15va to 24va would be ideal personally so 24vac at 15va would be right around .625 of current.. and while the 18vac .5 from amcrest is as it is. IT isn't designed to work with an indoor bell it is for Stand alone systems..

So I am not sure who the 18vac transformer from Amcrest works to be honest.. I am not sure if it is a Current Regulator power supply or if it is just a 120vac to 18vac transformer that would have nothing besides the transformer inside or if it has a Mini Circuit that could/would regulate the current and voltage at a constant level...
Be Safe
wallace4793

Post by wallace4793 »

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply and welcome. To be honest much of what you say I don’t understand. I understand the voltage and ampage requirement but not sure how to know what va is on the supply (I’ve attached an image of the plug-in transformer I’ve bought - 18v 500ma.

You mention not to use with an indoor ringer? I’m not sure what this means and that it’s used for a stand alone system. I have found only one reference to uk chine being used - a grohe one but I assume lots of people have just linked to chimes already but I don’t know which ones (other that the grohe) work.

Sorry my IT skills are ok but my electrical skills are not

John
Attachments
B418D597-867A-4A83-B149-91B680741A2E.png
B418D597-867A-4A83-B149-91B680741A2E.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 5116 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok well here is the issue.. 18vac and 15-24va is Volt Amps. That is because most time when dealing with AC voltage it works in VA AKA Watts.. However in buying a Supply like your showing there that is showing the MA and anything in MA is under 1amp.. So if they were to write that correctly it should read.. 18vac 9VA aka watts.. So now I can't say to be honest seeing I don't know how the Indoor Chimes are in your area however over here the Smallest kit one would buy from a Big Box Store like Home depot or something like that would have a 16vac 10va and connecting that to a Amcrest Doorbell without upgrading the Transformer to at least 30va or 1.875amps will have some type of issue. Might be able to get away with a 16vac 20va aka 1.25amps...

So when someone buys the Power supply in your picture above that is so they can just connect that power supply to the doorbell camera without having a DING DONG bell inside because that most times wouldn't be enough to power the doorbell here in USA anyway...

Also hate to say it most all other cameras on the market for Doorbell cameras take less power then the Amcrest cameras... Most of them require as little as 20va and to be honest not sure how they can say that when some Doorbells inside require that it self lol.. But that is what I have seen..

Like that picture shows.. Power supply to outlet to doorbell camera nothing else connected however the Amcrest Chime Kit is still required, It isn't a CHIME that little white box it makes no sounds unless your cooking it lol
Be Safe
wallace4793

Post by wallace4793 »

James - thanks for helping me here! You write detailed explanations so thanks.

So if I read you correctly I would be best placed to purchase a 18v 1.5ma or (2a) AC transformer? I am trying to buy plugin versions for both the Doorbell and the chime (is it better to buy a wire in transformer?). My biggest problem is finding a chime kit that works in the UK.