Power supply (Transformer) for AD110

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
wallace4793

Re: Power supply (Transformer) for AD110

Post by wallace4793 »

Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

That one there should be perfect.. Just make sure what ever Chime if your connecting it to an indoor doorbell chime that it can take the voltage as I said in the USA so I don't know about UK but in USA they are normally 16vac.. Some let higher voltages so 18 vac should be ok.. I know one of my Friends we installed a doorbell 5 or 6 years ago and when I tested the kit he got from our local Big box after we installed it the Voltage was at 20vac even though it said it was a 16vac transformer and the doorbell didn't mind.. Just wanted to make sure it was known.. The Camera will be ok...

Wish you luck let us know how your install goes..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
wallace4793

Post by wallace4793 »

Hey :)

I got this one (before I saw your response). I was working on the incorrect assumption that the chime would run on its own psu - but i see from the diagrams ive seen it runs on the same one (I guess that would explian why 500ma draw is too low).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Friedland-D142 ... th=1&psc=1

Its max 16v - but hopefully it will suffer the extra 2v? I just need to wait of the doorbell coming from your side of the pond :-)

John
DutchUser

Post by DutchUser »

Hello everyone,

I just ordered the AD110. I had a wireless doorbel that broke recently so I don't have any wires or a transformer. I want to use the ad110 without a chime. After reading all there is about the power supply I went searching for the right transformer. I understand that the 16v 30va or 24v 45va are the recomanded ones on this forum. Here in Holland/Europe I can't find any the closest one is a 24v 30va. Will this one be sufficient to power the camera with all its features. And do I need to install the chimekit? I think not. I found also a transformer with 12v 15va. Can I use this one instead? This one costs a bit less.
DutchUser

Post by DutchUser »

Edit on my last post.

I just discovered another transformer 24v 40va. Can I take this one in consideration?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and welcome to the forum
the Chime kit is only needed if your going to use a indoor bell. For a stand alone unit make sure to click the Skip when in setup at the point of adding the indoor bell then you can use any power supply that you posted.. the 12v 15va is only about 1.25amps and should be enough as well the only thing I worry about that supply is the starting inrush.. the 30va and 40va should be fine being used in a Stand alone setup..
Be Safe
DutchUser

Post by DutchUser »

Thank you for your reply!
DutchUser

Post by DutchUser »

Just installed the AD110. Unfortunately no power up, no lights or sound. Nothing. Waited through the 5min starting period. Measured the transformer output and it was ok. Am I missing something? Or is the bell broken?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

What was the Output voltage of the Transformer at the Camera? That is where the important part of measuring voltage.. It is hard to say why something is not working without being there or knowing some more data..

Testing voltage at the transformer only says that there is power that is leaving the supply however if you measure the voltage at the camera and are getting to low of voltage because of the supply power or distance of the power supply to the camera there is a lot to factor in..

With a 16vac transformer the camera should take 1min 20 seconds to boot, to as much as 2 minutes for fully Connected message. with a 24vac power supply with enough current the camera can boot within 55 seconds and full connected at around 1min 30 seconds.. However if there has never been a connection to the network yet then the lights on the device should come on within the first set of numbers to tell you that the camera is getting power..

HOWEVER Please note that is someone has had this camera connected before (Like maybe it was bought used) they could have turned off the LED and turned down the speaker so you can't hear the camera talk. Like on one of my AD110 if you connect it there will be nothing you could tell by looking at the camera that it is connected. The speaker don't talk and the light don't shine and the IR will not come on.. What can you do if that is the case to know.. you can press the Reset button on the side of the camera and it will turn on the Hotspot of the camera if there is power there and should tell you that it has.. Also if you press and hold it for a good few seconds the camera will Reset back to factory and it will say as such. With it being reset all sounds and lights will work as normal...

If your camera is not reading at least 12v it will not work. If the Current is low it will take long time to boot.. There is a couple of Capacitors that need to charge before camera becomes active..

To bench test the camera, take camera to a Wall Wort 12vdc power supply 2amps. Plug in power supply and the camera should light up within 1 min and about 1 min 45 seconds ready to make a connection.. If you can bench test it with 12v 2 amp power and it works then you know there is an issue from your power supply to the camera somewhere could be bad cable or one to small that causes the Voltage drop to low the camera will not function
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So a few things can happen with Transformers. Seeing they are just pure Voltage from ac of 1 to ac of another volt in this case should be using a Step Down transformer.. My guess would be something like from 240vac to 24 or 16vac.. The problem with Transformer when it comes to true power supplies is they are not perfect and were designed to work within a range.. However as one of my Videos that I made shows is that I can take a 24vac transformer and connect it to 2 12v light bulbs in Series and in a since this would be 24v and the bulbs would be dim because of the current rating of the supply. However when I connected the bulbs in Parallel this caused the transformer to go into a unstable state and ran the bulbs at almost 5amps of total current and while I didn't show it in the video the Voltage was around 14v and the bulbs were very bright because they were running at the max current that they could take by the bulbs design of almost 5amps between the 2 of the bulbs at that voltage on a 30va transformer and that is why somethings are designed to work with DC power supplies because with them you use Circuits within the supply to limit voltage and or current so these issue don't come about.. Transformers it is a different ball game..

So take for instance when I connected a AD110 to a 24vac Transformer and under rated one with Chime Kit installed and no indoor chime (THis will kill your chime kit don't do it) when the button is pressed it causes the Transformer to go into a under voltage and over current state and Voltage was around 2.4vac and current was over 10amps to as high as 14 amps on a transformer that was not rated for 14 amps.. That is because when the Voltage drops the current values can go high seeing it is working off the VA of the transformer..
Be Safe