New AD110 Install -- No Amcrest-DB wifi Zone

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
BigDesertDon

New AD110 Install -- No Amcrest-DB wifi Zone

Post by BigDesertDon »

Hello,

Have spent the last week pulling my hair out over this.

New AD110 -- Connected, and trying to add to AMcrest Smart Home app. Currently the ring is flashing light blue at about 3 second intervals. This is the behavior out of the box.

Attempt to add to app, but the wifi never connects. Instrutions indicate to press reset to put into hotspot mode, instructions indicate it's suppose to speak and indicate hotspot mode. It doesn't. Tried to reset by holding reset for 10 seconds. Ring turns dark blue at 10 seconds and then continues to flash the light blue every 3 seconds approx.

If I watch my wifi ssid on my phone, I never see a AMCREST-DB-xxxxxxxxx or anything even close as a wifi zone to connect to.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Planning on returning this on Monday if I can't get this figured out. As I said, I've spent a week on this already. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Thanks in advance for whatever assistance can be provided.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: New AD110 Install -- No Amcrest-DB wifi Zone

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and welcome to the forum..

So off the top of my head it almost sounds like a power issue.. If you have a Multi meter what is the Voltage at the back of the camera?

What type of wiring is it connected to, and what size of Transformer are you using? (Size aka Volts and watts)
Be Safe.
BigDesertDon

Post by BigDesertDon »

I will check the voltage today.

Transformer was existing transformer that was functioning my previous doorbell. It was replaced a few years ago, so should be adequate I would think, but will check.

Didn't see anything in the docs that would indicate this requires a stronger non-standard transformer. WIll check voltage and see if that leads to any revealations.

D
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes most doorbells are setup for 16vac 10va and some can be as high as 20va.. SO the going Transformer for the Doorbell camera is 16vac 30va however if your doorbell says it wants 20va then I would go up little more then 30va to be safe.

At one time they were saying it was ok to use 16vac or 24vac and they sale a 18vac power supply for the doorbell camera however in long testing of 24vac transformers I have found that it will fry the Chime kit so don't use a 24vac transformer if you want to use a normal chime in the home..
Be Safe.
Fleegle

Post by Fleegle »

I just recently upgraded from 10va to 30va to see if it makes a difference. I know the mechanical chime is 16V since its clearly labeled. So I knew not to go with 24V. I believe I was having problems where someone would ring the doorbell and I would lose picture but it would not reboot. My 24 gauge wire is only about 10ft long from transformer to doorbell so I am confident thats good. Wifi for me is probably no more than 15 ft as well. So everything for me appears to work and the only concerns I have is the app itself. Just waiting for the next update to come out
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

24AWG wire is to small.. IF you think about water flow and wire size it is the same thing.. Want a High pOwer shower and you use 3/8" pipe your not going to get the flow of water you want but you up the size of pipe to 3/4" and you will have more water to spare..

Sadly I can tell you from much testing and Electronics for the last 40+ of my 50+ years of life I have burnt enough to small of wires up...

Please note.. When your Doorbell was connected with a 16vac 10va transformer there was no to VERY little (if your switch was lit) power going through that wire until the button was pushed.. If someone stood there and pushed on your doorbell button for a good amount of time I would almost suspect that wire would burn up...

Right now that is working like a Fuseable link and the Camera requires constant power and even more power at night if you run the camera with IR on.. Then to do updates, and to hit the button and then the Extreme flow of power that is needed after the button is pushed ..

Lets look at things little different maybe don't know who you are but maybe another way could help...

Ever drove down a Logging road and not talking about a county maintained country road I mean a road that was put in by someone that logged area it is dirt with ruts and corners are nothing you would want to drive fast on in a since that is what your system is setup right now on a Logging road.. The camera wants a 2 lane freeway in each direction So I would setup four wires to one peg on the camera and other 4 wires on the other peg and in a since you will get an 18awg size in effect but that would need to be at both ends for it to work right you already know what happens when you go from a 4 lane highway to a 1 lane offramp if there is to much flow there is going to be a wreck.. Doing it without making it at both end will burn out that cable fast like a fuse... So 4 wires peg one on the camera going to transformer 4 wires on peg 2 going to doorbell.. 2 at each end is only a 21awg and isn't much better then you having only 1 at each peg of the camera....
Be Safe.
Fleegle

Post by Fleegle »

The unit worked ok for the most part with the solid 24awg and the 10va transformer. I just updated it out after reading the comments in the forums. I see no difference so far. I could take off the wires at the AD110 and see what kind of voltage drop I have if any. I don't believe I will see any since the transformer sits no more than 10 feet away, the transformer is in the basement directly underneath the front door. I don't believe I need 12awg romex. Current draw of course would have to be measured differently with an inline measurement when I watch the camera at work and the doorbell being pressed.

What I see more so is the android app and the way it performs. It plays back oddly versus playing back from my NAS. If the NAS plays back fine, I suspect the app has its issues that needs to be worked out.

I could pull new wire if I had to since its a short run but will hold off on that right now.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yeah your right you don't need 12awg never said you did..

Doubt it is a App issue if it was it would be an issue for more then 1 person I know I have some app issues because there are more then 1 person with the issue, then there are some that have the app ring the phone when button is pushed and some like me that after the last update don't and some others have reported the same issue another issue is there is no Image in the notice listing but there is a toggle for it at the bottom of the config page but it don't work for me and as far as I can tell still don't work for anyone and so that I know is an app issue..

Failing picture on button push that could be any number of things but I would suspect a power issue.. There is not enough power in the Caps to complete the call and I can make mine do the same.. So if you press the button on my doorbell 3 times in a row and wait for the chime to complete each time on the 4 press of the button I can answer my doorbell and it will go blank and this is because the power has been depleted by the caps that keeps the camera running while it is in the after button pushed mode.. Now while I will admit when I did it this last time oddly I didn't answer but it did cycle and connect to network was heard however the first time when I did it, it didn't give the network connect message. However that might be because on the 4th the first time I answered and pulled the power down faster to a point that when power was restored it was able to keep the network and the second time was because it let it run the 4th 7 second chime and with all that was enough to make the camera loose all power rather then most of it.. Personally I don't know I just know there are from a Picture that I guess was giving to someone back in 2019 and posted on line showing 2 large super caps in the bottom of the camera and that is why it takes a while for the camera to come to life when first powered on and takes a good while when power is removed because to charge and discharge them takes some time...

I have been in Electronics for over 40 years, built and repaired many circuits in my life time.. While I don't know this camera 100% I do know how others work and repaired a good many of them without the aid of Schematics...
Be Safe.
jstearns

Post by jstearns »

BigDesertDon wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:24 pm New AD110 -- Connected, and trying to add to AMcrest Smart Home app. Currently the ring is flashing light blue at about 3 second intervals. This is the behavior out of the box.

Attempt to add to app, but the wifi never connects. Instructions indicate to press reset to put into hotspot mode, instructions indicate it's suppose to speak and indicate hotspot mode. It doesn't. Tried to reset by holding reset for 10 seconds. Ring turns dark blue at 10 seconds and then continues to flash the light blue every 3 seconds approx.

If I watch my wifi ssid on my phone, I never see a AMCREST-DB-xxxxxxxxx or anything even close as a wifi zone to connect to.
These symptoms describe a doorbell that isn't receiving sufficient voltage. When that's the case, the doorbell won't enter pairing mode.
Check that you properly installed the device to your your wall chime.
Check the terminals on your doorbell with a voltmeter to be sure that it's receiving between 16 to 24 volts AC.
Don't go crazy replacing your existing doorbell wiring unless you find an explicit defect with it. Your existing wiring should be just fine.