Digital Chime not working with two AD410's

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
punwannabe

Digital Chime not working with two AD410's

Post by punwannabe »

Hi all. I originally had an AD110, which was having freezing issues during live view, so I ended up returning the unit and purchased the AD410 instead. The AD410 has no issues and has been working so great that I decided to purchase a second one for the back door. I confirmed with Amcrest support that my existing NuTone C907 16Volt, 30VA transformer should be adequate to power both doorbells using the same single door chime, which is a digital Honeywell model RCW3505N1000/N. I am using 18 gauge wiring. I installed the second AD410 and everything appears to be working fine on both units, except the doorbell chime does not ring when either the front or rear door bell buttons are pushed. I am using both Amcrest chime kits and wired the second chime kit using the same terminal locations (AC & C1) as the first chime kit as instructed by Amcrest Support. Attached is a photo. Could it be that my transformer is underpowered for both doorbells? I should know later today after it gets dark to see if there is enough power for night vision.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Henry
Attachments
20210911_132658.jpg
20210911_132658.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 5036 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Digital Chime not working with two AD410's

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Should be wierd like this
20210911_172949_resized.jpg
20210911_172949_resized.jpg (777.56 KiB) Viewed 5031 times
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So as my picture shows common transformer shares 1 wire each from chime kits the other wire from kit goes to front then on other kit to back
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So in your case 16 ac is common then one door bell to c1 second to c2
Be Safe
punwannabe

Post by punwannabe »

Thank you James. Before I installed the new AD410 for the back, I had just a regular lighted push button doorbell in the back, which was wired to the same digital chime. The rear doorbell would work fine along with my front AD410 (wired the same as in my photo except without the second chime kit for the back). The back regular lighted doorbell would ring the chime even though there isn't anything connected in the C2 terminal. The connections to the chime are: one wire to AC, one to V/AC, and two wires to C1, with the front chime kit connected to AC & C1. There are also 4 wires tied together in one wire nut. Do you know if I should move one of two the wires from C1 to C2, and then connect the second back door chime kit to AC & C2?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Not sure how that works personally.. Unless the wire from the V/AC is how you have your normal wires running to the normal doorbells before you added the cameras...

Looking at the Diagram that appears to be Ground or the other side..

So in your cases I am guessing it should run like this.. 16ac would be going to door buttons (now your cameras) then the second pegs on the cameras would go to C1 and the other would go to C2 that will make a complete circuit to make the doorbell chime

So for doing the wiring 16 ac is as we will call it Common to the Right Pins of both cameras and the right wire of both Chime Kits, Left wire and Left Pins of doorbell cameras front door C1 back door C2
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Geez looking in the manual from Honeywell geez that might not work.. In the manual from the sight it looks like my diagram above would need batteries in the unit to make it work that the Transformer needs to connect to both AC and V/AC and if that is the case then call AC the common point for the blue Chime Kit wire to connect for both AD410 camera and the other wire still on C1 and C2 respectfully that doorbell is very confusing because I have not seen one and they make it way more Complex then it needs to be with this and that do that and this or add batteries GRRR.. But in the Diagram in your picture the AC and V/AC look like they lead to the same place from a Diagram stand point.. Meaning if it was Ground they would be both going to ground that was why I thought AC was like power out to the switches and then it would complete after button was pushed.. Now I need to go find one of these doorbells to wire my 3 AD110 to lol..
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

About the Transformer it self.. Personally I would have used a larger one like my 2 AD110 are connected to a 40VA transformer.. However if they fixed the issues that the Ad110 had with power being a issue then I would say it should work. My 2 doorbell cameras get to about 900ma on Inrush current then it goes to about 700ma and rests in the 470ma range. The 30va is 1.875amps and seeing it didn't get to 1amp in my testing your system should be fine..

Something to think about. IF there is multi button push say you have your doorbell setup for 7sec to power your chime and they press it a few times to play the tone the camera will go off line if the camera isn't able to recharge the Cap to keep the camera powered while it is on button pushed mode.. My Ad110 will go off line after 4 7sec pushes one right after the other. I am not sure but I think the AD410 has smaller CAP to charge and means less power time on button push.. So I have not really tested my AD410 on how long it takes to turn off after removing power but that will give you some idea of how much time it can run on the installed Capacitors (Cap)
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

OK so I did delete the diagram that I mention and the short 1 line post that was there.. I figured it would only make things more difficult to understand...

In truth the way you have it wired moving one of the doorbell camera wires to C2 and one of the boxes to C2 should make it work them both being on C1 it wouldn't work.. It was said some time ago with AD110 being installed that the cameras would have to be on a Front and Back peg of a dual chime system for them to work. So it could be the only thing and I tried to make it to complex because when I looked at the diagram it looked like it was a doorbell with 120v in and power for the chime came from the system in 16v.. Anyway.. To make it simple as I said..

Remove 1 chime kit from C1 and put on C2 and one of the camera wires from C1 to C2 and all should be a go...
Be Safe
punwannabe

Post by punwannabe »

Based on Amazon reviews for this model door chime, many complained about how confusing the wiring instructions are. Maybe that's why they discontinued it lol. Brand new ones can still be found on Ebay. They also have a similar model# RCW3503N that I believe is wired the same way and can be found for around $35 shipped.

The house I moved into had a recessed wall clock with a built in door chime. I removed this clock/door chime combo and couldn't figure out how to wire this Honeywell door chime so I had an electrician wire it for me. I'm not sure what the four wires tied together in the wire nut are...I just thought these were wires for the clock and no longer needed. It's strange how the regular lighted push button doorbell for the back would signal the chime even though is nothing wired in C2.

The reason I thought my transformer could be underpowered is because I did read a post about a 2 AD110 setup. Amcrest must have made improvements to the power issues because I could only live view for a couple of minutes on my old AD110 and now I have no issues with the AD410. I tried pressing the back door button again today (with the same wire connections as before) and to my surprise the chime did ring, but then the AD410 lost its power, connection, and went offline. This happened with only one push of the button. A few minutes later, the doorbell powered back on again by itself, regained connection, and I was back online. Now I'm not sure if this was just a glitch or has to do with the way this particular door chime is wired or if it's a transformer power issue. Do you think the same Hammond BE2F 16.5V 40VA transformer you are using might help?

Thank you for your last post...it makes sense to me now :) I will give it a try.