Dead doorbells, no support

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
green1

Dead doorbells, no support

Post by green1 »

Hi, I have 2 AD410 doorbell cameras.

The first one lasted about a week, and then lost connection to the network, has no lights on it, and no indication it has any power at all. I installed the second one as a replacement, and it suffered the same fate in under 5 minutes.

Both still power on with a USB connection, but neither work when powered from the transformer. I did a factory reset while powered by USB, but unsurprisingly it made no difference at all.

Voltage measures 19.62VAC at the back of the doorbell, and my old Skybell HD works properly connected to the same wires.

I can't seem to get any support by phone, web form, or email from Amcrest.

So what do I do next? Amcrest is ignoring me, and I have hundreds of dollars of garbage sitting on my desk that I can't use.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Dead doorbells, no support

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum

Sorry to hear your having issues with the doorbell. The doorbells seem to have issues with people trying to connect them on a Desk for testing and making a connection without a doorbell connected and maybe they don't connect the Chime Kit as well. Everything is fine until someone presses the button for action like someone is at the door. This is a time that a Short happens and if I had to guess it takes out either the Main Power Board, Fuse, or 1 or all 4 of the Diodes used to make the Bridge as I am assuming they didn't use a single chip Semiconductor. I personally have not had one apart to find out what fails. The camera is to new and they are shipped back for RMA so no telling really. People then ask why does it still work on USB? That is because the USB bypasses the Power Supply board and the USB is like a second path to the cameras circuit.

What do people need to do to make this not happen? In Short, Install the Device on the house as intended with Chime Kit installed and connected to indoor Bell. Another way that could avoid this issue is to install the Camera on the Smart Home app and if someone isn't going to use a Indoor Bell then when it comes to that point in the App rather then saying I will connect it with this type (And don't at time of first powering on) They need to Skip that option that is at the bottom of that page. Options is Mechanical or Digital and at the bottom SKIP... If skipped this wouldn't have happened.

At this time Amcrest don't work on the weekends. Being upset about something and Venting about it on the first day of a weekend isn't normally a good action. To many days between now and the next time that someone that Works at Amcrest would be able to contact you about the issue.

Hope you get the Doorbell issue sorted out.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
green1

Post by green1 »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:29 am The doorbells seem to have issues with people trying to connect them on a Desk for testing and making a connection without a doorbell connected and maybe they don't connect the Chime Kit as well.
This is not the case here. The chime kit was connected first, and then the doorbell was connected to the normal doorbell wires on the outside of the house. At no time was the doorbell connected in a "desk" setup.
What do people need to do to make this not happen? In Short, Install the Device on the house as intended with Chime Kit installed and connected to indoor Bell.
This is exactly what I did. The doorbell lasted about 1 week and then died. I replaced both the chime kit, and the doorbell, and the second one lasted less than 5 minutes before suffering the same fate.
At this time Amcrest don't work on the weekends. Being upset about something and Venting about it on the first day of a weekend isn't normally a good action. To many days between now and the next time that someone that Works at Amcrest would be able to contact you about the issue.
They don't work any day of the week apparently. I phoned them 2 weeks ago, they told me support was only available online. I filled out the web form the same day, and they have emailed me several times since, but never with any useful reply. For the past week all they have been saying is that their R&D department is looking into it. But no actual solution. This isn't a weekday vs weekend thing. This is a no support ever thing.

You say these are being RMA'd but I have no evidence that this is an option. So far, over 2 weeks in to this support nightmare they are refusing to even answer me, let alone RMA the things.
Hope you get the Doorbell issue sorted out.
Unless you know some way to get ahold of someone at Amcrest who is willing to actually reply. This seems unlikely.

I'm giving them another few days, but if I don't hear back soon I'm going to have to go the credit card chargeback route, as I'm somewhat running out of options here.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I don't work for Amcrest and hard to say what and why things are the way they are right now. I know that with the times we are in there are fewer people at the TX support center. Most times with new products and not having a Full understanding what the issues that can happen R&D would be the next area of Contact. My guess is that is not as large as it was once in these times.

I would look at Returning your Devices Defective I am guessing maybe bought from Amazon and they offer good Return so that is what I would do.

Sorry I don't know why one with it connected as it was designed would damage the device. Only thing I know is in the past on the Ad110 there was an issue that was related to the Chime Kit. After repairing a good few Chime Kits all my Ad110 still work..

Only thing I know from Many hours of Testing is that on the Older Ad110 using a 24vac Transformer is bad for the camera unless it is done without Chime Kit and Skipping the option. Anything outside of that causes the Transformer to go into a Under Volt and Over Current State.

I would have to suspect that since your setup has killed 2 doorbells, I would check Distance and size of wire. Also I would double check if newer wire that it isn't CCA. Pure Copper is best anything else is just asking for trouble. Also Distance and wire gauge is important. Longer the run larger the wire. Voltage Drop can be a killer. Also testing Voltage with no current (Because your doorbell camera is dead) will not give a good true Voltage test.
Be Safe
green1

Post by green1 »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:10 am I would look at Returning your Devices Defective I am guessing maybe bought from Amazon and they offer good Return so that is what I would do.
Unfortunately I bought direct from Amcrest, and not through Amazon. I have not found any way to return my defective products to Amcrest as they won't answer my support inquiries.
Only thing I know from Many hours of Testing is that on the Older Ad110 using a 24vac Transformer is bad for the camera unless it is done without Chime Kit and Skipping the option. Anything outside of that causes the Transformer to go into a Under Volt and Over Current State.
So it's a doorbell that should never be used with a doorbell transformer? That's a somewhat idiotic design decision, and also contradicts the installation instructions, and all the specs on the sheet.
I would have to suspect that since your setup has killed 2 doorbells, I would check Distance and size of wire. Also I would double check if newer wire that it isn't CCA. Pure Copper is best anything else is just asking for trouble. Also Distance and wire gauge is important. Longer the run larger the wire. Voltage Drop can be a killer. Also testing Voltage with no current (Because your doorbell camera is dead) will not give a good true Voltage test.
The wiring is all copper, and it appears to be about a 18-20AWG My house is nothing huge, so wire runs are pretty standard and all the connections are good. I measured voltage on the back of the doorbell at 19.62VAC, that's well within the specified range. The wiring also works great with my old Skybell HD cameras, so I really don't think that it's a problem with the wiring. Transformer is rated at 37VA, and has no signs of undervoltage as the chime has a good solid ring to it (during the week the camera worked)

In short, my doorbell setup couldn't be any more standard, if the doorbell camera isn't designed to work with the most normal doorbell system in existence, then it simply isn't fit for purpose and should not, under any circumstances, be sold as a doorbell.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well 24vac isn't a common Doorbell Transformer. 16vac is and I have not had any issues on any of the Doorbells outside of using to small of Transformer in testing that I did. As Amcrest said in Docs and even most Stated in the 410 as well 16vac 30va is Min. I have done good long testing with a Indoor chime, 2 chime kits and 2 doorbells on a 16vac 40va Transformer without any issue. However that is also with a Digital Chime and Mech chime might be different in Current needs..

So from your Statement I am going to guess that your using a 24vac transformer as not many of the 16vac transformers I have tested has been at 19vac. 24vac transformer I don't have one connected in front of me right now but my guess is the Standing Voltage would be 24 to 27vac. On load it will have many factors but lets just say 1.25amps on 100ft of 20awg would be more then 10% Voltage drop. However just lightly over and Voltage could be around 22vac. With yours showing 19ish that is going to be Well over a 10% VD and that is going to be again my guess why the cameras have died.

All of my 16 and 16.5vac transformers have all been around same Voltage area of 17.23vac to 17.9vac on load non drop below 17 on button push.
Be Safe
green1

Post by green1 »

Transformer is officially 16.5VAC 37VA, with no load connected it reads 19.6VAC, with my Skybell HD connected it reads 18.7VAC (As you point out, no point measuring with the dead AD410 connected) On button press it SHOULD read 0VAC as a button press should be a complete short. The odds of me having 100ft of wire are slim to none. Best estimate would be 50-60 feet.
Chime is mechanical.

So from your description, my setup is 100% optimal for this doorbell.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes it would fit within good Specs. Sorry I am not sure why your devices from Amcrest are no longer working.

I have spent many hours researching different doorbell power supply combos I don't have a Skybell, So I don't know what the Sitting Voltage should be at any length of cable. I have tested the Ad410 and 110 many times at both Voltage and Current and the Ad410 is much better with lower current then what the Ad110 works at on Button Push recovery.

Maybe there was just a bad batch of Cameras. Within the next year I will find a Bad one for sale and buy it just so I know why and what has caused them to no longer work. By then there will be someone that has one out of Warranty that I can peak into..

Sorry as I was saying Was my Guess,, High voltage and low current needs can keep the 16.5vac at a higher volt. I haven't tested any of my 16.5vac Transformers for some time. The No load Voltage is equal to Induced EMF of the Secondary winding. Anyway Testing mine without a load right now is 19.232.
Be Safe
medward4

Post by medward4 »

I am so disgusted with Amcrest support that I am returning thousands of dollars in recent purchases and trashing any ideas of ever using another Amcrest product. A relatively simple task of trying to change a password on an NVR has wasted days and hours of hold time. Amcrest must think they are a government intelligence agency instead of a plug and play household security system. There is nothing simple nor reliable but they sure have insured that even their customers can't access they're own systems.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

There are many ways when setting up a DVR/NVR that you can as the rightful owner can safeguard your ability to access your unit. Outside of one of them there is not much that can be done to reset a lost password.

What type of NVR are you trying to reset?
Be Safe