Connecting power to 220v/12v chime?

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
dieguit

Connecting power to 220v/12v chime?

Post by dieguit »

Hello! I bought an Amcrest AD410, and I'm trying to connect it to a chime.
There is no existing wiring right now (only 220v in the place where the chime will be). I am having trouble understanding how to wire everything (including the chime kit), specially since here in Argentina current standards seem a bit different (haven't found AC chimes, for example)

The most common thing here (for "traditional chimes"), seems to be chimes with integrated transformers, so that 220v DC goes in and 12v DC goes out to the front key in the door.

By reading some other posts and from the technical specs that say "Power Input: AC16V~AC24V, DC12V~DC24V", is it safe to assume I can connect the chime's 12v dc to the Amcrest front?

In that case, where should I plug the Chime Kit?

And my last question is, is there any issues about using it at DC12V instead of AC16V? Is it going to miss any features or something like that?

Thanks!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Connecting power to 220v/12v chime?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

To be honest there are many different things that can be done. However for your case the best thing and won't be an easy thing if they are never in stock these days is to use a Wireless chime with the doorbell and use the doorbell with a Wall wart that is used to convert your 220 to like 12-18v. Then doing it that way you wouldn't need to the Chime Kit from Amcrest.
Be Safe.
dieguit

Post by dieguit »

Thanks Revo for your answer,
I don't think I will be able to find that wireless chime in the place I live (and US stores usually do not ship to Argentina neither). Seems like a good option if I cannot make it work with wiring (and if I do not burn the thing while trying :P )
dieguit

Post by dieguit »

Would this work?
chime.png
chime.png (11.27 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
dieguit

Post by dieguit »

I'm sorry, can't find an option to edit posts!
Another thing to mention, looks like doing a wrong wiring with the Chime Kit could burn the AD410. So I'm thinking it may be a better option if I just use a wall wart as you mentioned, and since I'm already setting up HomeAssistant (I chose this doorbell because of amcrest2mqtt) I can use that events to notify or ring some chime using a smart module.
Let me know your thoughts :)
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sadly the Chime kit is designed to work with AC voltage of up to 24v and to be honest 16 is best bet. So in your last post would be best option for your location.
Be Safe.
dieguit

Post by dieguit »

Thanks Revo for your answers! I'm having a hard time with the requirements (I'm not experienced with electricity stuff)

Regarding the wall wart / transformer for the micro-usb port, do you think one that outputs 12v 0.5a will be fine?
What are the requirements for the wall wart? I see this one sold by Amcrest [1] is 18VAC / 0.5a, so I guess that should be the ideal?

1. https://amcrest.com/power-adapter-for-a ... ad110.html

Edit: I found one that outputs 18vac/1amper, is this one safe to use?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

No usb is 5v only. All other voltages go onto the pegs on the back. Yes the amcrest power supply will work. Again usb 5v 2amp like power supply used on Amcrest ash 21. 12v to 24v ac or DC goes on the pegs on the back. Only difference is stand alone setup requires that no setup to a chime as doing so will damage camera or power supply and ir both.
Be Safe.