Connecting doorbell to a Chime

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
leonardomrc

Connecting doorbell to a Chime

Post by leonardomrc »

Hi guys!

I would like to allow my doorbell to work without a phone. So, if there is a visitor alone at my house, that person can hear the chime sound.

Nowadays I only have an Amcrest doorbell at my front door connected directly to a 22V power source. I also have two wires that run from my front door to the interior of my house. Those wires were used in the past as audio wires to an old intercom/doorbell.

Is there any way to add a chime to the system or something like that?
leonardomrc

Re: Connecting doorbell to a Chime

Post by leonardomrc »

Anyone?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry I guess don't understand what your looking to do! This doorbell camera should be used on a 16vac 30va Transformer. now that a 22v power source has been used it might have killed your Amcrest Chime Kit..

However if your Chime kit is ok still and it is going to be on how the quality of power supply your using..

At home depot or any of the Big Box stores you can get a doorbell for your home, this doorbell normally would work with a 16vac 10va transformer or 20va either way when adding a 30va and doorbell camera it is a simple setup

Power from the house goes to the Transformer normally 120vac, then 1wire from transformer will leave that and go to the T on the indoor doorbell, the other wire from the Transformer will go to the doorbell camera, Then to complete things on the second area of the doorbell camera a wire will run to your indoorbell system on the F terminal or Back or R depending on maker. Then the Chime Kit needs to be wired right there on the doorbell as well one of the wires to the T and the other to F if that was one you used.. Return power to the doorbell camera and after it loads and says that it has made connection to the network you should be able to push the button and it will ring your indoorbell and also call you.. Sadly there is no Intercom link that can be setup on any of these that I know of..

So as I said sorry I was not sure what your asking if that isn't it then maybe some one will be able to get you the help you needed..
Be Safe.
leonardomrc

Post by leonardomrc »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:12 pm Sorry I guess don't understand what your looking to do! This doorbell camera should be used on a 16vac 30va Transformer. now that a 22v power source has been used it might have killed your Amcrest Chime Kit..
Thanks and sorry for being unclear. Actually you answered my question!

My biggest problem right now is that I don't live in the US so I guest most os the chimes we have here use a different system. I don't see the transformer o trans/front/rear wires. Everything is plugged directly in 110v. I will search and try to find one that works or maybe I can just buy it from abroad.

Just to confirm... The ideal transformer for doorbell + chime would be 16V 30VA?

What if I want to add a another chime for my 2nd floor?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes our doorbells in the house are normally 16vac 10va and some are as high as 20va however all are 16vac.. So the doorbell camera works with that in mind is said that 16vac 30va is minimum requirements. However depending on your total distance for wiring that might not be enough..

However case to understand some. Last week my Friend was having issues and told him what he needed to do for testing. However there is no way I could understand that the results could be as he claimed and have issues. So I drove out there just shy of 2 hours away and did the test for him. Transformer Voltage was 17.56vac at the Transformer and he said that it was 17.52 at the doorbell camera but when I got there I see what he had done and I showed him how to test the right way. My meter showed 17.59vac at the transformer and 8.12vac at the camera and was why it wasn't working. Pulled new wire to transformer from camera seeing the wire to the doorbell was newer and larger. After this it was 17.58vac at trans and 17.12vac at the camera after wire upgrade. Now his system is working. Was glad I was there to help him really because he also had his transformer loose in the rafters and when we went to home depot I had him buy a box and plate for it so it was installed as designed and not going to maybe kill someone in the future.. Way he had it was dangerous in my book.
Be Safe.
leonardomrc

Post by leonardomrc »

Good one! haha!

In fact I just had another idea here. I have a Home Assistant server and some Google Nest speakers around my house. It looks like this doorbell integrates very well with Home Assistant. So, maybe it is easier to create an automation. When someone presses the doorbell button, all my speaker will play that awesome song from the White Stripes: I'm thinking about my doorbell /When ya gonna ring it, when you going to ring it. Lol