ASH47-W functionality limitations

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
gregschief

ASH47-W functionality limitations

Post by gregschief »

Recently purchased a ASH47-W. However functionality seems a bit limited compared to previous Amcrest cameras.

The human detection AI seems too sensitive or is not working and there is no place to edit sensitivity on this product. I have the AD410 and this product has the human detection with sensitivity adjustment which seems to work much better. I noticed maybe wind is causing these false triggers?

Also used the Dahua SmartPSS and noticed there is a reference to ftp server destination but didn't see an option to select ftp only microsd and cloud.

Tried to read the camera's variables through Dahau's Home Assistant integration, but could not get this to work. All other Amcrest cameras seem to work with this integration that I own.

Also tried to connect this camera to my Synology DS920+ via Surveillance station and was not able to connect to this camera. Any other Amcrest camera I own connects easily.

Please comment if you have been able to connect to FTP, Synology NAS, or Home Assistant with this camera.
CLBrown

Re: ASH47-W functionality limitations

Post by CLBrown »

I am also having this issue.

Given that the device advertises, in big bold text on the box, that it's an ONVIF-compliant camera, there should be zero issues with connecting to any such platform.

My own issue comes down to how it doesn't have an account name and password, per-se. Every other one has a default account name and password (which you should always change, but which is reset to factory default when you hard-reset the camera). I have tried all the standard default Amcrest logins, and none work.

The ONLY means I can find to access this camera is by the web app. This is just CRAZY. It seems like this camera... a good camera, physically... has been "hamstrung" in an attempt to promote the "phone app," which I DO NOT WANT TO USE.

Not only is a phone app relatively insecure, it also lacks the ability for me to store my recordings on my NAS (a Synology unit, like yours). Again, this seems to be intended to drive us away from local storage and towards Amcrest's paid "web storage" service. Which I DO NOT WANT TO USE.

If they're going to limit the functionality through software decisions... then this camera (despite being mechanically a good camera) is simply JUNK.

I got mine as a "Vine Reviewer" item on Amazon, so I didn't pay retail for it (I get these essentially for free, but in exchange for (a) writing an honest review for Amazon, and (b) paying tax on the "fair value" of the device as if this were compensation.

I will be writing a TERRIBLE review of this device if that's what Amcrest is really doing. Treating paying customers like this is unacceptable.

Give us the means to access our cameras by whatever platform we like... as ONVIF REQUIRES (making your box reference to ONVIF compliancy false advertising and, frankly, FRAUD, if not provided)
JohnBoy

Re: ASH47-W functionality limitations

Post by JohnBoy »

Looks like an Amazon Reviewer found the secret to authentication:

"added this as my 2nd licensed camera to my synology NAS. I'm still running DSM 6.2, but the latest SS. Setup, use the default USER name as "admin" and whatever password you entered when setting up initially through your phone (which I immediately uninstalled). After phone app setup, your NAS should find it with a search and press "authenticate" before adding it to your matrix. Here is where you enter your username and password, it was the username that threw me off as no where does it mention it. After that it worked well with pan and tilt, audio (listen) all working in about 15 mins and a few attempts and wrong user name guesses. BTW it's not your Amcrest login or Device name, it's "admin". Good luck, nice value if you can get it working."

Once getting it authenticated, I had to restart Surveillance Station in order to see my newly added camera. Cheers...