ASH26 light does whatever it wants

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
Yooperscott

ASH26 light does whatever it wants

Post by Yooperscott »

I got and installed an ASH26 motion light/camera around Christmas last year at our families vacation home. Everything seemed to work fine and we were very happy with it.

Since sometime around May or so at times the light seems to have a mind of its own. It will turn on during the day and stay on for hours for no reason at all. Sometimes my parents reported that it would be flashing. Therefore most of the time it's been turned off (installed where a light on a switch used to be so at least turning it on and off is easy). I had talked to support and they had me factory reset and it seemed like possibly it was better for a bit but then back to doing it. I have tried all sorts of settings to try and see if anything would make and change and nothing seems to. Currently we have it shut off and i'm hoping for a fix as I like everything about it as long as the light functions correct. Otherwise if not resolved soon I will be forced to buy something else and trash it. It has a microsd card in it for recordings, otherwise nothing special or different. I have tried formatting it and things like that just in case it would help, but didn't.

Any help/ideas?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: ASH26 light does whatever it wants

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum

So I am not sure if the issue started while it was connected to the switch? Or if you connected it to a Switched box after the fact?

Only thing I can think of is that the system might work like a normal Security light and have issues sometimes when power fails or if the light switch was turned off and then back on to fast it might make it so the light does funky things..

So somethings to think about with the camera.

1 When setting up in app there is a place that will ask if you want the light to come on at night or anytime there is motion (Set up for night time only) Meaning don't have it connected to come on any time motion is detected because it will be going on and off all the time..

Also there is settings like do you want it to come on at night and stay on or do you want it to only come on when there is Motion..

So in the app there is settings for Motion Grid of the Light. I have mine set about 1/2 the pie because any more then that it will pick up others outside the fence area and all the way will even pick up my neighbor walking out his back door 90 to 120 feet from the light so where it is set is perfect. That also isn't the same Grid that is set for the camera so need to make sure that Motion for light is set and that the Motion for the Camera is also set..
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
Yooperscott

Post by Yooperscott »

From memory, cannot check right now as power is off to it and I am 400 miles away, it was set to what I recall the default which is using the light sensor so if I’m thinking about this right the light should therefore NEVER be on during the day. Yet it will stay on for hours during the middle of a sunny day. It will do it when things are dead still so this isn’t clouds or wind or anything like that. As for the power coming through a switch, that really shouldn’t be relevant because we never ever touch the switch (unless it’s being turned off because the light stays on all of the time). I can say that it’s not completely uncommon for power to go off and back on (to the entire house) but I know that it has stayed on good enough that no alarm clocks needed to be reset or anything like that for months at a time and yet we have problems with the light. Camera, recordings, all of that works perfectly as I would expect (sure it will record a bunch on a windy cloudy day but that’s totally understandable) but yet the light seems to be on another planet totally separate and random. Our internet is solid and also have a mesh system that is very overkill for the house size. We do have many Amcrest IP3M cameras that never have issues much further away (detached garage, sauna). Just desperately want this to work and don’t want to scrap it just to try the Feit one.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok so again sorry I am not there so no way to know and have to ask question that I don't have answer too...

So with a Normal Motion light again if there is a Brown out and or if someone has on a Switch that gets knocked that system at times can Hang and is required to be turned off for in the Manual (Of other lights this is) for 5 minutes.. Still have one in my shed that used to act that way..

So I can't say that the cameras Light Motion works the same way but that could be something to look at...

Next Going into the App. Click on the camera, then click on the COG in the top right of the window (Gear looking thing) then click on Flood LIght Settings. IN the top it would say Mode (Should be Motion Activated) as setting Light Sensor should be clicked to right. CHeck the Motion Zones that it isn't 100% if it is picking up Ghost it might help to turn it down some. I have at 51% and works perfect for my needs. I have Light Duration setup for 1 min...

Please for Kicks on the Device Information window click on Storage Status, Then click on Cloud (If this was a unit from Amazon or known as used unit please make sure that if you don't have Cloud Storage Setup that it reflects that in that area it will say No Active Cloud Service. If there is an account listed and you didn't turn it on that could be the issue

Again with last part of my post here if this was from Amazon or known to be a used camera light, it could be that they are still accessing it and making it all crazy.. I have not had 1 bit of issues with my Light outside of once or twice I think the Settings went back to factory after a Power Glitch seeing that light isn't on any backup power..
Be Safe
Yooperscott

Post by Yooperscott »

It has definitely gone through periods over the summer when the switch was off for days, and then turned on and again middle of the day the light would just be on (no reason to be detecting motion) and yes the light sensor turned on so should NEVER be on during the day anyways. Also of note the light would be on without any recordings stored from the camera. I do not believe anything cloud related was on, I do have a microsd card in it. Even tried reformatting it just in case.

Yes it was purchased off of Amazon and it definitely appeared to be factory brand new. Has undergone a "factory reset" also.

I will be going up to where the camera is in a couple weeks so I will try your suggestions. I also have a wifi switch I will be installing so that I can turn the power on and off remotely and will be able to mess around more. Ultimately though it's either somehow magically getting resolved or else move on to something else. I don't want to because it does everything I want, camera great, etc......just that damn light seemingly on another planet becomes deal breaker.

Again thanks for the ideas, I will be trying and report back.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes I don't know I mean it is odd that there is Light on a day time.. I mean you can turn on the light VIA the App.. So I would make sure that it isn't being done by another user on accident?

So I would again double Check that the Floodlight Settings are set for Motion Activated and not Schedule Mode. That might be something as well.. Light staying on longer then normal Light Duration (Mine is set at 1 min) options are 1, 5, 10 and 20...

Night Vision should be set to Auto
Be Safe
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Infact I thought about something to try...

For kicks the day you get there I would try something and see if it comes on.. Edit the Motion Light settings, and change to Schedule, and then in there change it to every day off from 8am until 9pm save and see if the camera Light comes on in day time..

Now I am not sure if I had an issue now or not but I will admit even though I have mine setup for Motion, in my Schedule I do have the day times off.. It might be that mine too was acting odd but set it up for some times I didn't want the light on.. Anyway after that day or maybe even leave it run that mode for 2 days depending on how long you will be there.. I would then leave the times in the Schedule and then change back to motion for the light and see if that keeps the lights off..

Again I fooled around with my light a few days and had it setup for on and off but after the first weekend I thought I would set it to Motion and run 1 min when triggered.. So it really might be that because in the schedule I have it off in the day time anyway it don't come on even under motion setting?

I will tell you right now my Light is making me mad lol.. The Neighbor has a Fire going and because of the light and then the shadow that is cast into my yard even though it is long cast the motion keeps setting off the light.. So I right now have it on Schedule mode with the light set off and I will just turn it on when my pups go out
Be Safe
Yooperscott

Post by Yooperscott »

10-4 I will try all of your suggestions, willing to try any settings to get it under control. Thanks.
friedham

Post by friedham »

I had similar problems and ended setting the light to manual. They would turn on at random times and one of them will turn on and look like a strobe light flashing on and off. Even with it set to manual it will turn on sometimes and I have to power cycle the device to get it to turn off or stop flashing.
nixhome2020

Post by nixhome2020 »

One of my ASH26-W has started having one of it's LED Lights start flashing like a strobe light, even with it set to manual.

Is there a fix for this issue?