ASH21 ports closed until ethernet plugged in - bug?

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
talormanda

ASH21 ports closed until ethernet plugged in - bug?

Post by talormanda »

I am attempting to add this camera to my surveillance software through RTSP. Although there are no settings or directions stating you can do this, it appears the ports are open. The problem I am running into is that the ports **only open up when the device is plugged into Ethernet**. So even though I am using this device on wireless 2.4GHz, the ports remain closed until I plug an ethernet cable into it. Can you explain why this is happening? I want to take advantage of RTSP, but I cannot keep it plugged into ethernet. I also own another Amcrest camera that does not exhibit this behavior. I ran a port scan to prove my suspicions. I am attaching a screenshot to show you what is happening below.

Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: ASH21 ports closed until ethernet plugged in - bug?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and welcome to the Forum...

So you already post this yesterday.. Sadly it is the weekend and maybe the people that might have your answer was with family or away at the time... I am going to guess that because this is a Smart Home product the item might not be as well suited for Security CCTV setup in WiFI format because of the power it would take and the trimmed down design I am thinking with it plugged in it has better ability to run what you want.. However in WIFI mode maybe not so much.. Also it might be a security issue on Wifi.. Some of the items have HOTSPOTS and maybe it is how it was programmed. Sadly working with these and any Smarthome product outside of the Smarthome app likes to Brick things when changes are made that are not designed to be changed... So might want to keep that in mind...
Be Safe.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

The quote below was in the thread you posted to yesterday. A link to the text source is included there. Also my suggested instructions on how to do setup again if desired. I have successfully connected WIFI ASH21 to a Camect DVR using RTSP command.
It sounds like you used ethernet cale to set up ASH21.
READ CAREFULLY:
"The Amcrest Smart Home PT camera has 2 methods of setup, you can set the camera up via Wi-Fi (which is recommended) or directly via an Ethernet connection. Please note, if setting up your camera on Wi-Fi you will only be able to access your camera on Wi-FI, if you setup your camera using an Ethernet cable you will only be able to access your camera via an Ethernet connection. There is currently not an Ethernet Wi-Fi setup option available for Amcrest Smart Home devices."
talormanda

Post by talormanda »

I reset the ASH21 many times and re-setup with Wi-Fi only, and it still does not work. The ports remain closed. What can I do differently to get it working like yours? Are you telling me you can reset yours, setup with Wi-Fi, and RTSP works without ever plugging an ethernet cable in?
talormanda

Post by talormanda »

Revo2Maxx wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:15 am Hello and welcome to the Forum...

So you already post this yesterday.. Sadly it is the weekend and maybe the people that might have your answer was with family or away at the time... I am going to guess that because this is a Smart Home product the item might not be as well suited for Security CCTV setup in WiFI format because of the power it would take and the trimmed down design I am thinking with it plugged in it has better ability to run what you want.. However in WIFI mode maybe not so much.. Also it might be a security issue on Wifi.. Some of the items have HOTSPOTS and maybe it is how it was programmed. Sadly working with these and any Smarthome product outside of the Smarthome app likes to Brick things when changes are made that are not designed to be changed... So might want to keep that in mind...

Keep in mind, as soon as you plug ethernet in, all the ports are listening again, including on the ethernet IP and wireless IP. So if it were a security risk, as you say...why would you then be able to access the ports on wireless? I can plug in ethernet, get the ports to start listening, then unplug ethernet and the ports will still be open. The moment I disconnect power or reboot, they stop working again.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I said might have been I didn't build the camera I am only making a guess at some of the common issues that might happen...

Odd thing is that as Jack said it is one way or another setup and while I am not sure why I have had mine connected both ways.. Oddly I am going to guess that maybe it isn't...

So here is what I did.. I have ash21 on my router on Cable and Wifi showing 2 different IP's I can and have connected both methods however I am going to guess that it is as I have seen in other Amcrest cameras I own.. Working off 1 IP method... The Cable... However goes over both IPs..

So I did a test and sure enough that is the issue.. I have the Ash21 IP for Wifi on my Router blocked to outside access and I know this works under normal use for other cameras or devices that are Wifi only.. I then turned off my Cell phone home Network access and used Verizon Internet access on my Cell, I made contact with Ash over smart home app that is connected to my system over Wifi however I have the Wifi IP off in my router.. I then while I was online the Ash21 unplugged the Cable leaving only the Wifi and the connection I had was no longer there yet I have it setup in my app under wifi.. So it seems that while the cable it plugged in like other Amcrest cameras I own it will go over cable even on Wifi IP...

How do I know for sure in others.. because I setup my camera in Cable, then went to Wifi and setup a IP for Static and I never Registered the Camera to my Wifi Router with Password and I was able to access the camera on the Wifi IP over the Cable just by going to the ip address

So in this case it was my 841W only white one I one for these Black or Silver from now on only.. Anyway I setup main ip as 10.0.0.219 and setup while I was in the menu the Ip for Wifi to Static, 10.0.0.221. Then while I was trying to work with another camera by mistake I put in the 221 IP forgetting my 2 IP rule for Cable to Wifi IP's and when I logged in thinking it was camera that was on 220 I was like huh.. Then just like I did with the ash21 I disconnected the cable and sure enough no more access to the Wifi IP

So your Filtered or NOt open is because your camera should have its own IP for Wifi and when you take out the cable your NO LONGER CONNECTED TO THE IP FOR THE CABLE.... You would need to setup IP for WIFI
Be Safe.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

talormanda wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:28 am I reset the ASH21 many times and re-setup with Wi-Fi only, and it still does not work. The ports remain closed. What can I do differently to get it working like yours? Are you telling me you can reset yours, setup with Wi-Fi, and RTSP works without ever plugging an ethernet cable in?
Yes, It works for me. I may have reset it and set up again once 4 months ago but I really don't remember. I never plug in an ethernet cable.

You don't say above if you delete your device in Amcrest Home app BEFORE doing a reset. If you don't delete it, try it and maybe it will fix it. The deletion may change something in the wonderful ;) Amcrest Home server.

All this is covered in the ASH21 user manual that you may not have.
https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... ual-ASH21-

Here's the URL I use.
rtsp://admin:[email protected]/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
PTZ controls probably won't work in your surveillance software.
talormanda

Post by talormanda »

@Revo2Maxx - I have wired MAC setup as 192.168.1.78 and wireless MAC setup for 192.168.1.79. I was not using the same IP. Keep in mind I factory reset and deleted the camera from the application probably 5 times, and when I went to setup again, I choose Wi-Fi only.

Also keep in mind I can plug in ethernet and remove it, and the ports are magically opened on wireless until the next power cycle of the camera.

@jack7 - I have deleted it many times in the app before doing a factory reset and setting up again with Wi-Fi only. The ports are still closed and the RTSP URL does not work. I am out of ideas.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Ok I am done.. I wish you luck...

I was trying to point out in the picture you provided your IP for your testing was on the Same IP

So I did testing to reflect that same by blocking my Wifi IP for my ASh21 and was able to access it over an app that uses Wifi only yet the IP is blocked however I unplug the cord and camera as no access from outside my Network however I reset the Access to allow the Wifi and again it is able to run even without the cable plugged in..

So I can't be there to help you and I can only tell you what I have done, Seen and give ideas of what something could be...

I am not sure what the Issue is?

If the camera isn't working contact Support and Start A RMA for a replacement?
Be Safe.
talormanda

Post by talormanda »

Revo2Maxx - The IP address in the photo is the wireless IP. So it is a before and after when plugging in ethernet.