ASH21 ports closed until ethernet plugged in - bug?

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
jack7

Re: ASH21 ports closed until ethernet plugged in - bug?

Post by jack7 »

@Sunsparc
This probably will not help you, but FWIW, I can use TinyCam background audio from a wifi ASH21.  TinyCam android device is attached to LAN router wifi.  ASH21 is attached via wifi to an Actiontec Single Dual-Band Wireless Network Extender and Ethernet Over Coax Adapter (WCB3000N).
Matty

Post by Matty »

I am now having this issue with my two new ASH21 cameras.

Bought two cameras a few days ago.
Set them up on WiFi and was met with a firmware update for both. I usually do these knowing that these things can sit on a shelf for a long time.
Ran the cameras for a few days with no issues
Opened the app yesterday and it told me there was an update for my two cameras. I usually don't upgrade right away but for some reason I did.
Once I upgraded both they went offline and would not come back after the firmware update was done.

I finally did a reset. Tried to get them back on WiFi and it would work until the last step of adding camera to cloud account. It would error out on this step and remain offline. The green status light would stay on.

I tried a bunch of resets and randomly found that ethernet worked. I then tried to connect WiFi while the ethernet was connected and as soon as I connected the WiFi the unit went offline even with ethernet connected.

Nothing I do at this point will get the cameras to work on WiFi. They only work on ethernet.

This is driving me nuts and I want to be able to use my cameras on WiFi again. Any thoughts on how to fox this? Is there a way to load an older version of the firmware that was working before?
Cleric670

Post by Cleric670 »

Ran into the same issue yesterday with two of my ASH21 devices, basically the firmware broke their ability to connect to wifi.

I opened a ticket and was told
I apologize for the inconvenience caused. Our R& D team is investigating a possible ASH product issue. Thank you for your understanding.
So I'm guessing they are aware that their firmware update 2.680.00AC001.0.R.210507 broke all their ASH21 devices.

The good news, you will be able to install the new update but YOU MUST PLUG THE DEVICE INTO THE NETWORK WITH A CORD. You can reinitialize and use the camera normally but only while it's plugged in, so you will be able to update the firmware still.

Unfortunately until they push a firmware update your device is essentially bricked.

The crappy part is they're still pushing that firmware update to all my other devices! I have update reminders turned off on all my other ASH21 cameras.
Matty

Post by Matty »

So now its a waiting game. Do I return my two cameras and get new ones or wait for a firmware update to fix this issue?
Matty

Post by Matty »

I just submitted a ticket in hopes that they fix the issue faster if they see more people having this issue.
elgringo429

Post by elgringo429 »

The firmware update bricked my camera and it took me two days and tech-support calls and what I had to do was get a link emailed to me to download and roll back the firmware on my camera using the SD card option as it wouldn’t work with ethernet and IP Config app. What I find strange is that my other three cameras updated fine and didn’t have any errors go figure maybe they never updated who knows I didn’t bother looking since they work🤔
Matty

Post by Matty »

elgringo429 can you share the SD card roll back instructions? I got a response from support with a long email about using IP Config app to downgrade the firmware. The email was supposed to have pictures but they are not loading as they are no longer on their google drive. Also the IP Config tool keeps telling me the username and password are incorrect so I can't even get past the first step. This is so frustrating.
Cleric670

Post by Cleric670 »

https://support.amcrest.com/hc/en-us/ar ... are-ASH21-

Follow these steps.

You will need the email link to the downgraded .BIN firmware file. The only one available on the page I linked is the .210507 version which is currently broken. I was able to use that software to reinstall the same firmware version so it does work. When you log in to the camera user name is ADMIN and the password is whatever you set it up as during the initial camera setup.
Cleric670

Post by Cleric670 »

Here is the link they gave me for the downgraded .BIN file version ending 410. It works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TNiK2l ... sp=sharing