ASH21 ports closed until ethernet plugged in - bug?

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
talormanda

Re: ASH21 ports closed until ethernet plugged in - bug?

Post by talormanda »

jack7 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:22 am jazzmonger quote:
jazzmonger wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:41 am ...Yes, I'm on the "latest" Firmware which appears to be April of this year...
I wonder if that has something to do with the problem. My WIFI ASH21 works and has firmware dated 2019-11-06.

You know what you have to do now... :mrgreen:
jack7

Post by jack7 »

talormanda wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:10 am You know what you have to do now... :mrgreen:
Yes I do. ;) But I never upgrade firmware when a camera works fine.
jazzmonger

Post by jazzmonger »

jack7 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:22 am I wonder if that has something to do with the problem. My WIFI ASH21 works and has firmware dated 2019-11-06.
It Works is very subjective... it works ONLY with the Amcrest Smart Home app on Wifi. Literally Nothing else will work using Wifi. Not even the Amcrest NVR's ( I have the 8 ch and a brand new NVR5232 - nothing) nor the Amcrest Pro apps. Plug it into ethernet and they all work great...
jack7

Post by jack7 »

ASH21 with WIFI works for me using Amcrest Home, View Pro, Surveillance Pro, ONVIFER, Tinycam Pro, and also wherever I use this URL:

Code: Select all

rtsp://admin:[email protected]/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0 
I do not use the Latest Version ASH21 firmware. I use the Current Version firmware shown below which may be why my ASH21 works. I did not upgrade. If you are using the Latest Version, perhaps you could ask Amcrest support to downgrade your ASH21 firmware while you are waiting for them to fix your problem.
Screenshot_20200717-100329_Amcrest Smart Home.jpg
Screenshot_20200717-100329_Amcrest Smart Home.jpg (108.21 KiB) Viewed 9254 times
jazzmonger

Post by jazzmonger »

jack7 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 am ASH21 with WIFI works for me using Amcrest Home, View Pro, Surveillance Pro, ONVIFER, Tinycam Pro, and also wherever I use this URL:

Code: Select all

rtsp://admin:[email protected]/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0 
I do not use the Latest Version ASH21 firmware. I use the Current Version firmware shown below which may be why my ASH21 works. I did not upgrade. If you are using the Latest Version, perhaps you could ask Amcrest support to downgrade your ASH21 firmware while you are waiting for them to fix your problem.
Ok, I have several and will try one that hasn't been updated. Are you sure your cam isn't also plugged into Ethernet? Mine works fine over wifi as long as it is also plugged in to an Ethernet switch.

Anyone know how to downgrade the firmware on these?

Jeff
talormanda

Post by talormanda »

@jazzmonger - you cannot downgrade the firmware.
jack7

Post by jack7 »

@talormanda @jazzmonger

Well, here's another thought on the ASH21 WIFI problem.
As I said before, my ASH21 works everywhere I've tried with wifi and NO ethernet cable attached, and not just with Amcrest Home app . It was installed five months ago and I really don't remember the last way I installed it. I moved it to several locations eary on, and I do know that it currently connects to a wifi access point which is wired to my router. I've only seen one IP address and MAC. I don't believe my router even knows the camera is connected to wifi.
So maybe the wifi access point is why mine works. If you have a wifi access point, you might try it to see if wifi works with ASH21 there.

BTW, I did just see in another thread that jazzmonger said that using new or old ASH21 firmware does not fix the problem.
jazzmonger

Post by jazzmonger »

jack7 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:16 am @talormanda

BTW, I did just see in another thread that jazzmonger said that using new or old ASH21 firmware does not fix the problem.
That's correct. I have several of these cams and tried one that was on the old firmware with no luck. Amazingly, I connected with Amcrest tech support about a week ago and while they haven't found a fix yet at least they are interacting with me almost daily. I pointed them to this thread as well as the others to show them the magnitude of Just who many ppl have this problem. It's a lot.
talormanda

Post by talormanda »

I am still waiting a fix with support. I usually have a weekly reply from them.
hrzheng7

Post by hrzheng7 »

talormanda wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:21 pm Keep in mind, as soon as you plug ethernet in, all the ports are listening again, including on the ethernet IP and wireless IP. So if it were a security risk, as you say...why would you then be able to access the ports on wireless? I can plug in ethernet, get the ports to start listening, then unplug ethernet and the ports will still be open. The moment I disconnect power or reboot, they stop working again.
I hope this "workaround" works but it doesn't even work for me. As long as the cable was plugged in, the port became open for connection. But as long as I unplugged it, the port became closed again... Are you sure your port will still be open after disconnecting the ethernet?