App not finding AD110

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
lordbah

App not finding AD110

Post by lordbah »

New AD110, two issues. Amcrest Smart Home app v3.12.2 on Android 13.

1) Trying to add device in app, QR code scans, but app doesn't find the wifi hotspot. If I go to settings and connect to the hotspot and go back to the app, it still can't find the device. The app implies it's looking for a hotspot named ASH-Znnnn, but the hotspot is actually named Amcrest DB-Znnnn. Is that the issue or does that SSID pattern work okay for others?
2) Existing chime doesn't have FRONT terminal. It has TRANS, 1NOTE, 2NOTE. I believe the previous owner did have a second doorbell. Anyway, I took a guess and connected the chime kit to TRANS and 1NOTE, but it makes a constant rat-a-tat noise like it's trying to chime continuously. How should this be wired? The doorbell is getting 17.7VAC (I saw text somewhere that this symptom might be due to improper voltage).
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: App not finding AD110

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

That issue is most times related to the Transformer being undersized. So if say the Doorbell was designed for 10va that trans is to small and should be upgraded. No matter what other people have said what they can do the data for the doorbell says MIN is 16vac 30va. Main reason is that not everyone is built with same type wiring and distance..

Also make sure that you have your Chime Kit that came with the camera connected to the 2 terminals. Trans and 1Note.

Outside of that you might want to look for a older version of the Amcrest App. Maybe will have to make a ticket and ask Amcrest for one that you can add in your doorbell. Issue is that the older DB was DB and the new Ad410 is an ASH so after people had issues the other way they did an update that made it so it would work. However maybe the new software omitted that on accident.

Don't forget without a load at the doorbell it can show 17vac however with load that can drop way low.
Be Safe.
lordbah

Post by lordbah »

I did this to make my life better - now I have to crawl through the bowels of the house looking for a transformer which hasn't been touched since the house was built 48 years ago, so I can replace it, even though it's working fine with the existing doorbell. Isn't it ironic?
lordbah

Post by lordbah »

Haven't found the transformer yet. Where would you put it in a raised ranch, 48 years ago?
bleeblak8

Post by bleeblak8 »

If the transformer isn't near the chime panel. I'm betting its very near the electrical panel. Sometimes they have a transformer hanging out near the panel for ease of wiring. Especially with doorbell wire easier to run than regular conduit wire or romex. If you are able to see the doorbell wire running from the doorbell, or even find it where the chime panel is. That might help determine which direction the transformer is located in.
Best of luck.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry not sure about the style of home you have. My guess is that is the type of home that looks like a Split Level home where there is a Garage on bottom floor and from the driveway there is steps going to the main house door that maybe opens to a level here the option is up or down. Or maybe it is where the stairs lead to the door at the first level of the home.. Either way my guess is that it would be (Should be with access panel) However because of the type of home normally the basement part is finished and if that is the case then it might be harder to find. What I would do is look behind the Doorbell chime it self first off. Maybe they knew everything would be closed up and so they used one mounted behind the doorbell chime.

Next if not there and not close to the Power Panel. You will know when you see one. There is normal power wires going to one side and smaller wires leaving to the doorbell area. Something you can do to try and locate the wire is use a device that some call the Fox and Hound where it sends a tone down wires and the hound sniffs it out.. Thing is you would want to make sure to turn off the breaker that feeds the transformer. That is another thing to do if you know the breaker and the wires around the box are exposed that can help you know what area the transformer is going to. Maybe the area around the breaker box is exposed and can see where a section of the wiring is going before it leaves that room into the finished part of the basement.

If you have never worked with house wiring this is something you might want to call a Electrician to work out for you. As you might need to take off the front panel, find the wire from breaker and where it exits the box and follow it until there is no more sight of the cable. Depending on how it was wired it might not be a wire to the box of its own and could feed lights as well and trying to tone out going away from the box could be harder because the wire can branch off before it ever hits the transformer. Going the other way the hound will stop at the transformer. As long as the wire to the chime isn't past it. Meaning the Transformer is in the Middle. It might trick you into thinking it is different area. However some systems the hound will not tone full power without both wires. Also most of them are not very loud devices so if there is lots of sounds it might be hard to know where things split off.
Be Safe.
lordbah

Post by lordbah »

> My guess is that is the type of home that looks like a Split Level home where there is a Garage on bottom floor and from the driveway there is steps going to the main house door that maybe opens to a level here the option is up or down.

Exactly.

> normally the basement part is finished

More or less. Barn lumber. Suspended ceiling with those styrofoam(ish?) tiles. Main panel on the wall farthest from the garage. Next to that are two inverters for the solar panels, so I don't have access to whatever might be behind the wall on that side. I just hope it's not back there. Also hoping it's not in the attic since there's blown insulation all over everything (doesn't seem to make sense to put it up there anyway).

One breaker handles the doorbell, hallway light where the chime is, lower outlet of each pair in the master bedroom (is this odd?), and the lights in the basement. Where the chime is mounted there's just a small hole in the wall for the wires and I can't tell whether it goes up or down on the other side of the wall. Likewise from the doorbell I can't tell which way the wires are going on the other side of the wall. I'll have to take a closer look at those flourescent (why is the spell checker flagging this?) lights in the basement since I understand the transformer may be just a wart on the side of any junction box. If no luck there - who would rent a Fox and Hound, Home Depot/Lowe's?

> behind the doorbell chime

This would be awkward to reach. It's kind of a null area. Either take out part of the wall where it's mounted, or go through the back wall of the coat closet and then turn left.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sorry not sure anyone will rent them. I mean you could ask your local Big Box. I know that Kline sales one that is under 100 USD if you are in the USA..

About the doorbell, It very well could be that it is behind the doorbell. One would need to take the doorbell off the wall to look as it would be in the area right behind/beside the doorbell..

Outside of that as I said most times anything that is found behind the wall would need to be connected to an access point. So if you say find a junction box in mid run then looking in that box there might be signs that is where the Transformer is. Can it be easy accessed not always but if the builder had access in mind then yes they would have done something to give good easy access to the Transformer. However out of my life I have only found 1 home that I owned where the access was not easy and to be honest if I wasn't in the type of business I have been in my whole life I might have just abandoned the old wires and ran new. However because of the life I live I have tools that many others don't and traced out my wiring in that home. I did replace the Transformer and added an access point for future needs.

In your home from how you talk about what is wired to that circuit my guess is that they would have it behind the doorbell.. To be honest it is odd that they put it on a Circuit that is connected to outlets because normally outlets are setup for 20amps now days were the lights are normally only 15amp circuit. However if they feed the lights from the outlets that might have just been the easier area to pull in the wires to that area for the lights. Again the transformer in would guess would have been put on the box that your doorbell chime is hiding. Keep in mind that if that is the case access to the Transformer might be mounted behind or beside the box mounted with a Conduit lock nut.

I have seen some people even mount them into the Electrical panel. This is bad practice and should be mounted outside of the panel. Yet I have seen it both ways. Again this would require taking the front off the panel of the breaker box. One if there is a Transformer inside that is the easy spot (Bad Practice) however if it was done right and mounted to the outside it will still be easy to sport in the panel because it will be the only thing in the box that looks out of place.

Transformers will get hot normal use so I don't think anyone would mount in Attic let alone in area that isn't covered to keep Insulation off it. So my guess is that if it is behind the wall it would be in an area that isn't insulated and if it is they have it in a box of its own..
Be Safe.
lordbah

Post by lordbah »

DoorbellTransformer.jpg
DoorbellTransformer.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 1432 times
This is in a likely spot in the basement lighting at the bottom of the stairs down from the front door. The wires head off in the direction of the doorbell. Although since it says CHIME there I guess the intent is for the wires to go from here upstairs to the chime and then from there to the doorbell switch?

I've always had the impression that the previous owner did most of the basement himself. (although it was me who replaced the light bulb and didn't improve the situation)
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well as I expected that transformer says 10va on the side so that is an issue where the system is causing your doorbell chime to act funny. After doing some of my own testing and I have not moved over to doing any with my Scope yet, However I found that with the undersized transformer what is happening in my case anyway is that the Transformer ramps up and dumps under voltage over current and that is what is making the doorbell ding faintly. However for some people the chime is low enough voltage that it makes it ring constant as it is doing the up and down cycle of the current and voltage..
Be Safe.