An Update Regarding AD410 Firmware (Amcrest Support)

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
eliamcrest

An Update Regarding AD410 Firmware (Amcrest Support)

Post by eliamcrest »

Hello everyone,

My name is Eli, and I'm a member of the Amcrest support team.

Recently we've been seeing some confusion regarding the availability of updated firmware for the AD410, and I'd like to shed a bit of light on that.

Currently, the latest firmware version available to the public is dated February 20th 2021. As of writing, any newer builds reported are likely to be developer builds that were not authorized for public distribution, and support will largely be unable to provide new builds if requested to do so for the time being.

For those of you who are hoping for new firmware in the near future, I can report that we have new firmware versions being actively worked on at this time. I cannot give any accurate ETA for their distribution at this moment, but the next major update to the Smart Home app is planned to coincide with the new firmware for both the AD410 and the AD110.

New firmware versions will be uploaded to the new Amcrest Smart Home firmware page, with instructions linked for those needing to manually install the files to their devices: https://amcrest.com/firmware-ash

For anyone experiencing issues with their firmware, or would like to request certain features in future versions, please fill out the form at https://amcrest.com/smarthomesupport to be put in contact with me or another member of the support team!
GaryOkie

Re: An Update Regarding AD410 Firmware (Amcrest Support)

Post by GaryOkie »

Hi @eliamcrest

How refreshing to finally see a post in this forum from an actual Amcrest employee! We greatly appreciate making it clear what the status is of AD410 firmware and SH app.

I also want to add how very important it is to provide detailed release notes as to what was fixed or any other improvements added. And perhaps even more importantly, please confirm that the ability to use the Amcrest HTTP API will continue to be supported on SmartHome devices in any future update.

Thanks!
eliamcrest

Post by eliamcrest »

GaryOkie wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:24 am Hi @eliamcrest

How refreshing to finally see a post in this forum from an actual Amcrest employee! We greatly appreciate making it clear what the status is of AD410 firmware and SH app.

I also want to add how very important it is to provide detailed release notes as to what was fixed or any other improvements added. And perhaps even more importantly, please confirm that the ability to use the Amcrest HTTP API will continue to be supported on SmartHome devices in any future update.

Thanks!
I can't promise I'll be on here too frequently, as most of my time is spend working on tickets submitted through the support form, but I want to try making posts and sharing updates when possible!

I can certainly request that our developers provide release notes with this next update, that shouldn't be a problem!

However, our developers have indicated that the addition of an API similar to what's present in our IP cameras will likely not make it's way into Smart Home devices. It would apparently require a total overhaul of the current firmware for each device, essentially rebuilding them from the ground up.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

Hi Eli - Thanks for the follow up!

Regarding your last comment:
developers have indicated that the addition of an API similar to what's present in our IP cameras will likely not make it's way into Smart Home devices.
That is the same information you had provided me in a recent support ticket and we had both agreed that it didn't make any sense. As you know, SmartHome devices already support the Amcrest IP Camera API for the vast majority of commands and events. Saying that the firmware would have to be completely rewritten to provide the capability that already exists is incomprehensible.

My concern is that this might be the direction Amcrest devs are going with SmartHome - to DISABLE the incredibly useful Amcrest HTTP CGI/API that provides LOCAL event processing for integration with other 3rd party software. And in its place, force a cloud-only solution or nothing at all in a future firmware update?
eliamcrest

Post by eliamcrest »

GaryOkie wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:02 am Hi Eli - Thanks for the follow up!

Regarding your last comment:
developers have indicated that the addition of an API similar to what's present in our IP cameras will likely not make it's way into Smart Home devices.
That is the same information you had provided me in a recent support ticket and we had both agreed that it didn't make any sense. As you know, SmartHome devices already support the Amcrest IP Camera API for the vast majority of commands and events. Saying that the firmware would have to be completely rewritten to provide the capability that already exists is incomprehensible.

My concern is that this might be the direction Amcrest devs are going with SmartHome - to DISABLE the incredibly useful Amcrest HTTP CGI/API that provides LOCAL event processing for integration with other 3rd party software. And in its place, force a cloud-only solution or nothing at all in a future firmware update?
I'm not personally aware of any plans to make changes to those features, but I can absolutely inquire about it.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

OK, great thanks Eli for checking.

The reason for my concern is this is exactly what Dahua has already done with the latest firmware update to their DB6I doorbell, which is essentially identical to the AD410.

When I first heard about the new AD110 firmware breaking event handling I initially assumed the API was disabled as well. Fortunately that is not the case and the problem is much narrower than that - but still critical.

I sure hope the new AD410 firmware has been tested for backward compatibility with event subscriptions.