Amcrest Smart Home "Server" down?

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
Macha

Re: Amcrest Smart Home "Server" down?

Post by Macha »

This morning my Amcrest doorbell went offline. I tried to get it back online but failed. I searched online what the problem might be and saw this blog, every one with doorbell and nvr offline. Is in this a security risk since the server been offline for more than 12hrs?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

The Doorbell was online for me on my NVR there is nothing more then a Server outage this was either at the Local Level or a server that was between the amcrest one and the people.. This was I am going to assume nothing more then an issue with the Storm that came in taking out power for over 500 k people last I knew it could have been more.. About 6pm today we had a MINI storm here that took out power around me.. First night in long time looking up the street seeing nothing but darkness.. Houses up there and street lamps were out until 15min ago..

Security Risk as in not being able to see your home over your Smarthome app? the camera would be recording under normal working order recording to the MSD sadly if you try to reset it without having the working server then sadly the camera wouldn't record because it wouldn't have the setup info to record... For the Future I would check to make sure that the camera is really not working before making a reset attempt because if it was just Server offline your system is still set to record to MSD if you have one installed anyway...

As I said while mine was acting strange it stayed connected and recorded all day on my NVR..
Be Safe.
riverratmike

Post by riverratmike »

I have 3 smart home cameras. All three of them when offline this morning Aug 27th about 9am. All 3 of them came back online around 4pm. I only wasn't able to view the live feed on my smartphone. They are all working now.
arvindram11

Post by arvindram11 »

Mine went down sometime last night and not able to connect back up to it again. I did a hard reset by mistake and now can’t add the device back to the app
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

YEs as soon as the Server Returns you can do your Reset and it will be ok just need to wait for the Return of the Server..
Be Safe.
arvindram11

Post by arvindram11 »

Thanks! Is there a place to monitor the server status? Currently the front door bell does not ring the bell inside nor record. Obviously does not notify either.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I don't know of anywhere that someone can Monitor the Server Status.. Good news is however there are a good few people that are waiting for things to return to normal and there will be someone that I am sure will POST something about the service being back online...
Be Safe.
honeyhoney1979

Post by honeyhoney1979 »

Does Amcrest really provide NO notice online that servers are down? When a device is "offline", for starters, the app says I should check MY network . . . It's left to customers to try checking their network settings, perhaps even resetting devices, and then, check a forum, to discover the issue is on Amcrest's side?
And once the server is restored, does it require that I reset my cameras? With one mounted on a soffit, it's not a simple procedure, and this happens once every couple of months.
spawne32

Post by spawne32 »

honeyhoney1979 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:23 pm Does Amcrest really provide NO notice online that servers are down? When a device is "offline", for starters, the app says I should check MY network . . . It's left to customers to try checking their network settings, perhaps even resetting devices, and then, check a forum, to discover the issue is on Amcrest's side?
And once the server is restored, does it require that I reset my cameras? With one mounted on a soffit, it's not a simple procedure, and this happens once every couple of months.
That seems to be the case, as I spent the entire day thinking something was wrong on my end checking everything only to find out after looking on this obscure support forum that the server was down for the past 12 hours at least. Amcrest's customer service is horrendous, I would never recommend this product to anyone.
honeyhoney1979

Post by honeyhoney1979 »

When Amcrest works, it works fine as expected, but this inconsistency of service is unacceptable...I've encountered this several times this year, and Support has never indicated the issue might be on their end. I too wont be recommending Amcrest to another homeowner asking about a system.