Amcrest Smart Home "Server" down?

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
tgfarrell

Re: Amcrest Smart Home "Server" down?

Post by tgfarrell »

Just updating the firmware and doing a single factory reset doesn't seem to work. I had to do several as I fought issues in the app. I finally deleted the app, reinstalled it and then did the reset as if from new, scanned the device barcode etc and it finally all worked.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

@rd988 - Now that we know the DMS Server IP is still part of the AD110 configuration you have an easier means of identifying it instead of via the router tools. If you can determine the AD110's IP address, just enter:
http://<AD110_ip_address>/cgi-bin/Config.backup?action=All

You will be asked to enter the doorbell's ID/pw and save the file locally. Edit the file and search for "DMSServerIP". The listed IP should be either 3.210.92.130 or 35.168.244.201 (currently!).

If it is one of those 2 IP's, you can confirm full connectivity by entering telnet 3.210.92.130 15301 (or the other IP) in a command window on your PC. If the screen blanks, then the server is responding and the doorbell should be online. If it doesn't respond, then you have the right AD110 configuration, but some other network/Internet issue.

If it is one of the older obsolete IP's then apparently the firmware update didn't clear the old IP and refresh it. A big mistake in my view. This is what may be causing others to have to factory reset to get the IP reset, and sometimes more than once which is even more bullcrap to deal with.
rd988

Post by rd988 »

Well I did another reset and now the config shows
"DMSServerAddr" : "dms.zencamcloud.com",
"DMSServerIP" : "dms.zencamcloud.com",
"DMSServerPort" : 15301,
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hummm Interesting.. I have done my 2 resets and so far has not had any issues and just looked up mine and it is showing that I am on

While I don't want to do another factory reset right now I am going to do a reboot and see what happens after a reboot... Most I think are setup for Auto reboot on Tue so it is far enough away to do one now and see if mine comes back with the URL rather then the IP...

Well I did the reboot and it came back with the same IP as I have above... I am not ready to do another Reset Right now so I will leave it as it has been working since my last reset...
Be Safe.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

@rd988 - thanks for sharing your config. Seeing the dms fqdn instead of an ip is what I had hoped to see all along. It is indeed very curious how this got updated when others with the same latest firmware have an IP stored. Just the timing of when the install or last reset was done I guess.

You didn't mention it - but I assume you are online now?
amcrest168

Post by amcrest168 »

our aws servers have changed again. good to see the doorbell is keeping up with the changes and staying online.

Code: Select all

Name:    devicehttpproxy-21599686.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com
Addresses: 107.23.190.53
Aliases: dms.zencamcloud.com
rd988

Post by rd988 »

So at 1am this morning, it went offline.

Something at the 1am reboot/update is killing mine every 3-5 days.

Support gets back to me every 5 days or so and is mostly terrible. Other than factory reset, they have provided no information.
Might be time to replace it.. I can't trust it.
rd988

Post by rd988 »

Factory reset again - and the IP is back to being hardcoded.

"DMSServerAddr" : "dms.zencamcloud.com",
"DMSServerIP" : "107.23.190.53",
"DMSServerPort" : 15301,

Is their cloud development team a bunch of interns? This is terrible.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

@Amcrest128 - thanks for the IP change update. Keep in mind though that the IP's that were working yesterday are still responding. In the past, this lasted a week before they quit responding.

If you don't mind, please take another look at a new config.backup and see if your AD110 automatically updated DMSServerIP to one of these new IP's (without a reset). If so - great! If not, well - we'll let's hope an automatic update is triggered when the old IP no longer responds.

FYI - I just got back home last night and just now installed the new firmware. It went without a hitch. No Resets needed. Interestingly, my config shows "DMSServerIP" : "34.204.247.47", which is one of the new IP's. I had thought it would be the DMS fqdn. Well, it doesn't matter if it gets updated automatically later on.
tgfarrell

Post by tgfarrell »

Yes, they have a very immature development team and environment based on what we are seeing. You get what you pay for, in this case new college grads or overseas developers for cheap wages will always have issues like this. I can't say for certain this is the full story but having been in software for years, its not atypical on low margin products like this.