Amcrest AD410 Smart Home doorbell - a little too smart

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
dewzenol

Amcrest AD410 Smart Home doorbell - a little too smart

Post by dewzenol »

I chose this doorbell because I have used other Amcrest IP cameras and liked the integrated web interface and ease of use with various DVR software like iSpy. I value CONTROL over my data, and I have no interest in services like Ring provides; There is NO need to send my data to the cloud when it never needs to leave my network.
It appears that this doorbell camera is NOT like other Amcrest IP cameras. I was required to install an Android app AND create an online account to even begin configuring this camera. It is not clear to me whether the information about my camera and the credentials to access my network are now stored in just the camera, or also my phone, or also Amcrest's servers. I find this very disturbing.
There is no web interface on the camera, as far as I can see. I cannot control things like email notifications, and I can't control users on the camera itself. (administrators and viewers) I can't even determine how to stream video from the camera to iSpy or VLC or anything else. Is that even possible? Is it even possible to stream from it continuously?
Can anybody tell me if it is possible to do what I want with this camera, or is it just too dumbed down and tied to the cloud?
I might be able to find the answers to these questions myself, but apparently Amcrest doesn't offer any sort of manual for it. Just a 'quick start guide'.

At this point I suspect I'll be sending it back. I'll need to wipe my info from it first - I'm sure there is some way to factory reset it.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Amcrest AD410 Smart Home doorbell - a little too smart

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum..

I to like to keep my Data to my own Server, DVR/NVR and system within my own area and if requested for good cause or by paper from a court then I am happy to release said footage. With that said I do own a AD410, 110 (3) and another different brand Doorbell camera. While the AD410 and 110 are Smart Home devices and don't have built in WebUI for access you can without much issue install them for full time footage on a DVR/NVR, or ASP, ISpy and other 3rd party devices.

While the website says you can make changes to the cameras settings with in ASP (Personally tried it and I wouldn't change camera settings from default)

Your router if it offers a IP pool you can get your AD410 IP from there, You can also using Windows computer using Command Prompt can get IP data from arp -a. Fastest way to get to the command prompt if you don't have any short cuts is Windows Key and R at the same time type in cmd. Then at the prompt type arp -a you will want to find an IP you are not sure about that has a Mac address that starts with 9C..

YOu can also use Ip Config Tool from Amcrest to find IP cameras IP addresses.. Also if you have ASP I am guessing you don't but you said you had other Ip cameras so thought maybe you did, YOu can add it in there as well, If doing by IP you can even use PC-NVR to record or just use the ASP to view your devices. IT will work just like an DVR/NVR and or WebUI...
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
dewzenol

Re: Amcrest AD410 Smart Home doorbell - a little too smart

Post by dewzenol »

Thanks for the response. You've been very helpful!

I performed a factory reset and then once it said "WIFI hotspot activated" I looked for the hotspot from multiple devices and couldn't find it. ?! I rebooted the AD410 multiple times with no luck. Then I factory reset AGAIN and when once it rebooted, the wifi network DID show up. Goofy. Anyway, I was able to connect but the default account was apparently NOT admin:admin. So I had to fire up the android smarthome app to begin setting up the camera. Once I got to the point where I set the new admin password, I uninstalled the smarthome app. The camera rebooted and was connected to my wifi network. Then I used the API to configure the LAN settings. EX:

Get current network config settings:
192.168.???.???/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=getConfig&name=WLan

Change gateway: (or any other setting you found in the output from the above command)
192.168.???.???/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&WLan.eth2.Network.DefaultGateway=192.168.???.???
(Replace ??? with correct IPs.)

Thanks

Me.