Amcrest 2k VS Lorex 2k Video Doorbell Picture Quality

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Amcrest 2k VS Lorex 2k Video Doorbell Picture Quality

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So I reset both of them back to factory. Oddly the Lorex starts out in 1440x1080 and the Amcrest starts out in the Highest. So I did change them both and Lorex has HDR turned on Amcrest had the WDR turned off. It is now on. So they are both in the same 2560x1920 with HDR and WDR turned on.

Truth be told

Let you decide. Keep in mind that the Lorex can't do all the things that the Amcrest can. However the Lorex has some features that are missing in the Amcrest but could easily be added within the firmware. The features that are in the Amcrest can't be changed in the Lorex FW to support it because while the 2 Doorbells do look alike the Hardware inside of Amcrest has better circuits for all the high end add on. That is why the Amcrest could have the features of the Lorex but the Lorex won't support all the features of the Amcrest it isn't in the Circuit board of the Lorex..
Screenshot (3788).png
Screenshot (3788).png (420.21 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
Be Safe.
GaryOkie

Re: Amcrest 2k VS Lorex 2k Video Doorbell Picture Quality

Post by GaryOkie »

Hi Revo,

"Truth be told" ??? Not sure what you meant by that, but your post brings up many more questions than it answers as your comments lack any specific examples of any feature or hardware differences. The accompanying image showing nightvision PQ doesn't really show anything different either that I can easily see.

I would be interested in learning exactly what are the "better circuits for all the high end add-ons" you mentioned as I thought the circuitry & camera were identical.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

No they are not the Same. I have said that. There are things in the Amcrest Circuit that isn't in the Lorex circuit. However everything in the Lorex is able to run in the Amcrest but is missing in the software.

Like one feature of the Lorex, Led on by motion. While both can turn on the White LED that isn't what is kind of cool. The Lorex also has the ability to turn on the ring and flash. This can be with one of the 3 led colors that are in the front. That is kind of cool in a sense.

Also some people have asked about adding the FW of the Amcrest to the Lorex. Personally I don't think this is a Wise choice and while I can't stop anyone from making such a change, I don't know why anyone would to the Lorex other then to try and get it to take CGI and work with HA or other things outside of the normal scope of the Lorex tech. I personally don't know the Lorex line, But my guess is they have chose what they wanted to offer in the camera even if the system has a look and feel of the Amcrest doorbell. They are different. Two things I am going to guess could happen. 1, Brick the camera! and 2, find out that it didn't give them the options they were wanting and find out that the trip is a one way and won't be able to go back to the Lorex FW. Then a 3rd, It would take away features that work on Lorex that are not programed in the Amcrest. Plus Lorex is not happy software wise to work with Amcrest devices. Might also take away the ability to get and access the cameras alerts from push button or normal human detection..

The one thing about Amcrest, They have from the get go been a company that offers a lot of hardware options with 99% of their devices. A lot more options then people that offer the same type of hardware at times for even more money. Amcrest offering a better full option camera for less money is a great business model.

About my Take on the quality of the picture above. There is clearly some Quality differences between the 2. What one might find a clear quality difference between the Amcrest might feel that it is a flaw and say that the Lorex has better picture. In truth the Detail for me is what is important. One camera clearly uses some type of software to try and clean up the quality of the Picture. Doing so does make it look cleaner. However I like true less software cured picture for better definition.
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

@GaryOkie So my parts came in and I did make the swap of the bad part. Now working.

While I was there I also thought I would try something stupid. You know so others don't have to lol.. I took the camera PCB from the Amcrest case and installed it in the Lorex power board (The Power board is the one with defective part) and I put it all back together for this test. Once power was added the camera was not very happy and to tell the truth I thought I bricked it. However after about 10min of waiting the system came to life. First I wanted to see if I could get CGI to give me some data.
Results
{"error":{"code":287637505,"message":"Invalid session in request data!"},"result": false}

So Next I thought ok lets try and access it over Amcrest Smart Home app. (Forgot to Enable the new (Un-Listed Mac Address on my Router so never came online) and I couldn't access it from the App! Not sure if I could have even if I had gave the Mac access. It did as I said take 10 min before IP tools would see the AD410 but again had a RealTek Mac Address and as such gave a different IP on my router so I was not able to access on SH app, It wasn't until I removed the camera PCB from the Lorex case that I remembered my Router would have blocked the IP by design. So it might have be able to access on SH but options would have been lacking..

However I was able to access the camera over my Amcrest NVR. I didn't want to take much more use. I did Nmap it and I will admit that there was some differences besides the Mac Address being a Realtek Mac, the format of the open ports were listed like the Lorex with just the added port 80 added. However the port 8086 and port 5000 were placed in number order not in order like the Amcrest and Lorex normally are. Again besides the 5000 being placed before 8086 it had port 80. However tried to again access with a few CGI that failed.

Once I put the camera back in the Amcrest housing and power board the system again took almost 10 minutes to start up and act just as it did before the swap.

My guess, The system in both methods of setup had to rewrite the code for the camera to come online.. All done from backup that is in system memory.
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Also right now I don't have the Amcrest outside for a true side by side. However here is a picture from the Lorex tonight and Amcrest a few nights ago around same time of night a picture from Playback. I know that it says 21 hours but I didn't see that it was running an hour behind like it likes to because the picture quality of the time stamp don't show to well. Some reason the 4108E-HS on older FW don't like to keep the cameras time upto date as well as my 4216E-AI, 4116E-HS, and others on the newer FW.

Amcrest Ad410 with IR on.
Screenshot (3794).png
Screenshot (3794).png (1.49 MiB) Viewed 1202 times
Lorex 2k Doorbell with IR ON. In the same mount the Amcrest it connected to.
Screenshot (3795).png
Screenshot (3795).png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 1202 times
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Night color
Screenshot_20230101_031151_Lorex Home.jpg
Screenshot_20230101_031151_Lorex Home.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 1199 times
Be Safe.