AD410 with Mechanical Chime not playing nice

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
bhamilton

AD410 with Mechanical Chime not playing nice

Post by bhamilton »

Having an issue with an AD410 that I hope someone can help with.

I installed it and when I power it up, my mechanical indoor chime starts "humming" and the plunger that rings the bell jumps up and down a little (assuming this is what is causing the actual hum).

Originally was on a 16VAC 10VA transformer, but just had that upgraded to a 30VA, but the issue still exists. Chime kit is wired as directed. I've gone into the app and set for mechanical chime with no change.

Not sure where to go from here. I've googled but haven't found anything beyond upgrading the transformer, which as mentioned I already have.

Hoping someone has had a similar issue and can help me out. Thanks in advance!
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: AD410 with Mechanical Chime not playing nice

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum..

So there are a few things that can be the issue. First of all you have already fixed the main issue and that was using a 10va. With the upgrade to 30va you should be fine. However with all things there are times that even a new Transformer could be bad. Maybe it was wound wrong or damaged and causing it to still be the wrong VA..

Another issue can be common issue and that is distance of the wiring for the doorbell makes the system over drive trying to make up for the length of wiring. Voltage Drop over distance. So in a case with an issue like yours. The system is trying to power the camera, as the voltage drops the current raises. Once it gets past a drop off voltage point the system will spike and push that current and can cause your doorbell to ding or what ever sound it might make being a Mech chime..

So how to test would be to take the doorbell camera off the wall and while it is still connected test the power at the camera 2 pins for Voltage. In this case you will want your multi meter set on AC voltage and if not auto ranging you will want to set for 200 volts as most will have like 20 but your transformer might be over that at some point and the meter won't know unless you go up to the next value on the meter.. Watch the voltage, if it drops over time what you are not seeing as that voltage drops the current is going up. At some point that will hit a drop off point lets say 6.8v. At that time the current that it could ping with is over 4amps..

Remember a Transformer is a Non Regulated power supply so the Voltage and the Current has no regulation and when voltage drops the 30va winding cause the current to get even higher then what you might be expecting from a 16vac 30va transformer and that is normally 1.875amps.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
adoucette

Re: AD410 with Mechanical Chime not playing nice

Post by adoucette »

Ensure that the chime is getting enough power. The buzzing sound you reference may indicate underpowered.
Also check wiring and identify individual wires at both ends (you can use a 9v battery at one end and a multimeter at the other end to do this). This was part of my initial setup problem, but I also have two mechanical chimes. works fine now with both. https://amcrest.com/forum/amcrest-smart ... 16370.html