Ad410, does not ring mechanical chime

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
Ryukenden

Ad410, does not ring mechanical chime

Post by Ryukenden »

Hello,

i found out the problem with my doorbell it is as followed:

When i remove the doorbell and touch the 2 doorbell wires the chime rings fine.
When i add the ad410 doorbell and press the button it does not ring, or very faintly.

Long story short, i think the button is not completing the circuit with a button press it used to work perfectly before.
i removed the screws to remove rust if any, and i stript a new section of wire but to no avail.

How would i go about fixing this problem, is it inside the doorbell unit itself? like a broken switch ?
or is it just the 2 screws on the back that have faulty contact?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Ad410, does not ring mechanical chime

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about the issues your having! First have to ask has it ever worked since you connected it?

If no then I would double check that the Doorbell has been added to the cameras settings. Load Amcrest Smart Home app, click on the device you are wanting to look at, then click on the Cog at the top of the app right side, then click Amcrest Chimes, Then click +Link Digital/Mechanical Chime, and make sure that the system is setup for one or the other. If it is Digital in nature choose the time you want the system to power the chime options 3 to 10 seconds or might be 7 it has been a while. If it is a Ding Dong type Mechanical I think it defaults to 3 seconds.

If that didn't help then will have to dive little deeper.
Be Safe.
Ryukenden

Post by Ryukenden »

Thank you for the reply.

It has worked perfectly fine for just about a year now.
The chime not working started a week ago (mechanical chime works 100% tested)
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hate to ask, However have you tried to Reset the doorbell back to factory and setup again, adding back the Chime? If you have not I would say that is going to be the next step before saying the camera is dead.

From the post stating that it is weak or don't work almost sounds like it could be a Transformer that is starting to die as well. So while I know you said that it works if you take the camera off and short the 2 wires. The issue is that the doorbell most likely would work with a 10va transformer on its own. So by taking the camera offline and shorting wires could remove some extra current that it would normally be passing to the system.

If we look at it like a Battery and starting a car, As the battery starting to get weak if you try and start it before it is to dead you might get it to start but is very slow and or then starts clicking as not enough current to turn the starter.

So with that it might be that the transformer was under rated to start with and as time has passed it has become weaker. Just an Idea.

So Reset of the camera would be first line of business, replacing transformer would be next. I know not everyone has loads of transformers laying around like I do but they are cheap enough and or maybe a friend local to you has one they won't mind letting you test to see if that is the issue before you replace it.

Edit: One last thing that I was thinking right as I posted this, Another issue that can happen is the cable from Transformer to camera if undersized or CCA could be effected by the weather as well!? So if normally at the Max distance for size of wire weather changes could cause the current not to flow to your chime.
Be Safe.
Ryukenden

Post by Ryukenden »

Thank you for the great suggestions.
I just factory reset the doorbell and re added the chime, unfortunately the same result.

I used a multimeter on every cable to see if there was a issue anywhere. The transformer, the chime and the doorbell are all getting power.

I thought that maybe the chime kit might be not functioning properly? But by getting a faint noise it does get the signal.

It all worked before with the same setup, meaning wires, chime and transformer. Nothing got changed there.
Mind you the transformer and chine are not even 2 years old.

Maybe i can measure the current somehow?
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

So when the button on the Camera is pushed do you check the Voltage at the Chime?

For a test and it will require some doing but easy enough in most cases.
So here is something to try. Having a multi meter, put on the Ohm. If you have a Beep mode that is best. I would setup the camera to have easy access to being unplugged. Once the camera is setup and connected to the network, I would then unplug the camera from the wiring this could be done at the pens but remember that multi meters shouldn't be testing ohms live circuits. So a fast plug would be best but there should be enough time to un screw the connecters to remove the wires. Once done put the probes on the pens and press the button it should ring and if you have Beep mode on the meter on it should beep if no then it should be as close to 0 Ohms as it can be..

So I know you have said that your system was new less then 2 years old. It is very easy to have a bad transformer and while most can last a long time if it was under rated for the job it could easy enough burn it out. I know you said it works when you press the 2 wires together but again could be because it really don't take much to make the doorbell ring. However with a transformer getting tired it could be an issue.

If you don't have a Clamp meter for testing current and your multi meter you have will work in current mode then you will have to 1 make sure that the meter is connected for testing current. Not all meters have It. However if your meter has multi holes for the leads and one says 10a or current use only. Please note using current mode wrong can damage your multi meter. Once you are no longer going to use current testing mode move the lead back to the normal position of the meter.

You will need to make sure that your meter is in Current mode only and your going to be testing 1 wire connection. So if you have the extension wires connected use 1 of the wires pairs by removing that connecter, then 1 wire going to the house to red wire and the one going to the camera to the black wire. It should show you the current of the system and if you were able to make this connection without having to take much time the camera should be just still going at normal and that could be around 160ma. However if your system was off and camera went off line and connected meter and turned back one then the current could have been 1 amps+ a little for a short time and then back to less then 600ma until changed and then somewhere in the low 100ma at stand by mode. Once it is at the stand by current for a good 30 seconds to a minute (after it has said it has connected to network) and current is mellow steady then press the button. There could be a spike of 1.5amps however if it was to show a level outside of the normal range then there is an issue with your wiring or transformer. If after you press the button and the current gets over2 amps there is an issue with the system somewhere as most 16vac 30va has a 1.875amps if your amps goes over that it means your voltage is dropping low. Seeing these transformers are not regulated as the voltage drops the current can go higher then what is rated at the listed voltage. Meaning that 1.6 volts could produce 18.75amps but your wiring at that current should be smoke. I am just saying that even at lower voltage the transformer is still 30va.

It is hard to say. I don't know the wires you are using, Chime or transformer. Then there is the issue of Voltage over distance (Aka Voltage Drop) and so many other things that can play into why your chime isn't working with the camera.
Be Safe.
Ryukenden

Post by Ryukenden »

Thank you for the detailed explanation, i will look into this and report back. It will be in a few days.
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

I am experiencing the same problem after my AD410 worked fine for a year (installed 7/21.) My electronic doorbell chime no longer works, my phone app no longer plays the chime and when I try to answer through the app, it just timesout and fails to connect (and doesn't record anything.) It does record plenty of worthless things like when a car drives by and the headlights register as motion. This doorbell is pretty worthless at the moment.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sounds like your issue @KarlHungus53 isn't related to a dead Doorbell.. If your camera is still working to the point that you are getting head lights and other false triggers. You ahead of the game..

I would take the camera and do a reset to the thing. It will need to be Removed as the Reset button is on the back.

Then once you have reset it Remove the camera from your phone app, Then once the camera says it is in Hotspot mode add the camera back..

Once you have it added back in. Go into the settings, and go to the motion area, click on the Detect Human and uncheck motion. You will want to setup the motion grid for Human detection. There is some areas of the outside screen area where you pull into the area of your needs and save. This should now be setup to Detect only humans and call you when the button is pressed..

Then if it is no longer ringing your indoor chime, I would look at the Voltage from your Transformer. Over time they can burn out. Making it so there is just enough power to make your camera work but not the indoor chime..

Turn off the Breaker to the Transformer and buy one that is 16vac 30va. Don't buy a 10 or 20va and good 30va or better is the best idea and will last longer then using one that wasn't strong enough from the start. ONce a new Transformer is installed turn breaker back on and things should be working as expected.
Be Safe.
KarlHungus53

Post by KarlHungus53 »

I replaced the transformer within the past 2 years. It is a 16v-30va transformer. Voltage is all good.

Any idea how to get my phone to play the tone when the button is pressed? It used to work, and now doesn't do anything but display the notification.