AD410 chime kit replacement

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
DaveK

Re: AD410 chime kit replacement

Post by DaveK »

I'll update this when I receive the battery next week.

Again, you've been a great help, thanks!
DaveK

Post by DaveK »

Well, I'm not sure a new battery is going to work. I measure 4.2 volts at the battery leads themselves. Something could be wrong with the circuitry. I'm going to still try it. I"ll let you know how it goes.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

If there is good voltage, Please put the camera back together and do a factory reset. Please note this needs to be done with the system connected back to the doorbell wires with the Chime Kit in place. (Doing so for good testing). Once you do the Reset and setup, Make sure to setup to use the Indoor Chime. This will enable the Onboard Battery.

Please note that if you connect to USB and or the 2 Power Pins it can be setup and used without indoor Chime and if the indoor chime isn't setup the Battery circuit won't turn on. Once the Battery circuit is turned on the doorbell should be able to take having the button pressed a few times before it shuts down. Also and or the ability for the camera to be removed from power for a short time and remain powered on. Depending on how much is going on at the time of power being removed it can last form 20seconds to over a minute. I am not sure if that was by circuit design or by battery depletion seeing it isn't a large storage battery and has a under voltage circuit my guess it is just protection of the battery discharge and not circuit of the camera. However that is all a guess..

I just know that removing power with indoor chime active (Setup) the system holds power when removed from power. Where when it isn't setup for indoor chime and power is removed the camera goes offline right away.

Also I wonder if maybe the battery protection circuit is good? Maybe it has heat protection and if the camera is in Full Sun the circuit might turn off the battery as a protection? I don't know again just a guess.
Be Safe.
DaveK

Post by DaveK »

Okay, here's what I've found. I redid a factory reset. When I enable the mechanical ring I can hear a relay pick up. All symptoms remain the same. The battery is giving 4.2 volts at the plug where it plugs into the doorbell. I connected it to usb power and no issues. It rings the mechanical doorbell that I have and doesn't reboot. When I disconnect the usb power, it will ring the doorbell as before, but then reboot itself. I have 16.7 volts at the doorbell and it draws 760 to 650 milliamps when the button is depressed. It does run warm, but it sounds like that's normal.

It's looking like my doorbell may have an internal power issue. It's looking like I'm going to have to buy another one.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well using USB is kind of a Stand Alone Power system. Infact if the system is dead using the 2 wires on the back from being connected without a chime kit and chime used but setup for a chime normally that camera dies (But still can be powered over USB)

So I personally didn't look into the Circuit of the doorbell for this issue that you have. I would love to get my hands on a camera doorbell with this issue so I could track down what is causing it. I know there are a few Fuses within the camera and wonder if one of them is the issue. I know when the camera dies from what I was talking about above it kills the Larger 3amp slow blow fuse on the front of the PCB where the camera has to be pulled from the case to access the fuse for replacement.

Normally don't want to use USB while connected to houses power. However they are 2 different power sources within the camera. The reason it caused the system to ring the bell is that you still had the Chime Active and doing so caused the 2 pins to act normal (Short) as a switch will when you turn on a light. With the light off there is no contact and so no power moves to the light bulb. However when you turn on the switch the contact is then connected and the Voltage moves from 1 side to the other passing the voltage to the bulb. In your case voltage for chime is on 1 of the pins. Once the button is pressed the inside relay makes contact with second pin and this makes a complete circuit.

Under normal use without the 2 wires connected at the back. The USB powered there is no interruption to the power to the camera so the camera stays on. However using the 2 pins on the back when you press the button there is interruption in power (Battery keeps camera online) and that interruption is closing the circuit to ring the doorbell. The amount of time is setup it the doorbell software. Normally 3 seconds and on a Digital setup from 3 to 10 seconds can be setup or 3 to 7 seconds don't remember right now.. However long it is, That little battery has to be enough to power the device. Also wonder what the voltage is at the battery when the button is pressed. If it Drops low the battery could be showing full voltage (With No Load) but has no ability to maintain current load so battery voltage drops to low and system goes off..
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

With power on the camera, voltage could show 4.3v or something from the charging circuit. However the volage on load of the battery while it isn't' connected to the charging circuit can say if the battery is good or bad. If you had a small LED and resistor taking the battery off the PCB and testing the battery to light the LED. if it fails to light then the battery isn't good.

It still could be a battery issue and not a circuit issue. Just trying to offer a way to test while you wait for your other battery to show up..
Be Safe.
DaveK

Post by DaveK »

Success!! I had to remove the little circuit board from the new battery and move the board from the old battery to the new battery. It works great now! Nothing like fixing it with a $10 dollar item then having to purchase a new one. :-)
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Awesome, glad to hear you got it working now. Nice that you had the tools and skill to make the swap of the battery pcb.

Wondering how long you had AD410 and has it been in full time use with indoor chime since new? Location of unit? In or outside of direct sun?
Be Safe.
DaveK

Post by DaveK »

I originally installed one (Front door) in October 2021, but it died within a month. This was a replacement that I installed in November 2021. It does get afternoon sun and gets warmer than usual when the sun isn't on it. I've noticed that it does tend to get warm even when it's not in the sun. It has always been connected to our mechanical chime and is powered full time.

I've been very happy with the doorbell as a whole. I also have it connected to my Lorex Camera systems NVR to monitor it full time in addition to the internal sd chip. It works very well as a norm.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Yes I will admit that my Lorex Doorbell and Amcrest AD410 both about the same device get warm while in use. So does my AD110's as well. That was main reason I was asking about the Sun as I wonder if that might have helped cause the battery to fail so soon. I will admit I don't use my Lorex or Ad410 with indoor chime because I have Pups that will go on for ever after a doorbell goes off lol. So I just use them stand alone and they still get good and warm.
Be Safe.