AD110 update, picture washed out

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
BigB42078

AD110 update, picture washed out

Post by BigB42078 »

I saw there was an update for my AD110 doorbell and I updated it. Now the video looks all high contrast and washed out.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220805-162450_Amcrest Smart Home.jpg
Screenshot_20220805-162450_Amcrest Smart Home.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 1568 times
Screenshot_20220805-162516_Amcrest Smart Home.jpg
Screenshot_20220805-162516_Amcrest Smart Home.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 1569 times
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: AD110 update, picture washed out

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I agree, Same with mine.. To be honest it almost looks like the WDR while it might be active again or added back it looks like it is always on like it or not. I say this because when I turn on WDR in App there is no change to the Picture like other cameras that I own with True WDR..

Why do I say this. Well I have another AD110 that I also updated. I have it in an area that is new location. I had some issues so I took another AD110 that I own from it's location I didn't update to the newer FW and I reset them both back to Factory. I setup again. I didn't make any changes to the settings after the adding back in to app. I have not logged into any 3rd party software and I can clearly see that Picture of the updated one in the location it is in has higher amount of detail then the one that wasn't updated to the newer FW. Also with the camera I have then made some changes to the settings in WDR and all changes made, don't make any changes in the quality of the picture.

I also Reboot the Camera to make sure that it wasn't a cache issue also made the mistake of clearing the app cache don't want to do that again lol
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
KagaChe

Post by KagaChe »

Mine has grainy night time images after update. But I have two AD110 and it only happened to one of them after the update. The other is fine. Both were on the previous firmware and both are on the current firmware now.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

Has anyone submitted a ticket to Amcrest Support on this issue? If so, please report their response.

I tried to see if the API could be used to restore full color saturation and disable what appears to be a strong WDR effect that can't be turned off via the app.

In the previous firmware, the WDR option in the SmartHome app was removed. There also was no entry in the config for WideDynamicRangeMode which is documented in the API to enable/disable WDR. That config is now present in the AD110 firmware which could possibly explain how the WDR option returned. There is also an accompanying config WideDynamicRange that can be changed via the SH app to supposedly set the strength of the WDR effect. This will be set to 0 if WDR is disabled. The WDR range options 1-6 map to a percentage in the config from 17%(1) to 100%(6).

Interestingly, if WDR is disabled in the app, the WideDynamicRangeMode value remains at 1 (enabled), but the range is set to 0. I tried manually changing this mode to 0 via the API but unfortunately that did not change anything. As many of you reading this have already discovered, none of the WDR options and range values seem to have any effect at all on the image quality.

I also took a look at the AD410 configuration and it is configured contrary to the API documentation. In it, the WDR enable/disable switch is WideDyamicRange (not Mode) and is either 0 or 1. There is no range option in the firmware or the SmartHome app for the AD410 which is also weird.

We don't know what else has changed in this AD110 firmware update. Believe me, I have asked repeatedly if Support can provide any release notes. All I was told was my request was passed on to a higher team. If all this update did was to hardcode WDR where it can't be changed, then this firmware update should not be installed in my opinion.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

I found that enabling the Auto Iris setting has helped a little bit in improving detail in the video that is getting washed out from the latest update.

<ip_address>/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInOptions[0].IrisAuto=true (Default is false)

The contrast is still too high and colors aren't as saturated as they used to be, but at least detail that was totally washed out from the sun is mostly visible with auto iris enabled.

I also did a detailed comparison of the video settings from before/after the update. There really isn't anything that stands out that was changed. Several new config entries were added, mostly related to a Night profile that I'm not sure is even used. And as stated before, turning off WDR in the app makes no damn difference.

Here are the new video-related firmware config entries the update added:

VideoInOptions[0].GlareInhibition=0
VideoInOptions[0].NightOptions.Backlight=0
VideoInOptions[0].NightOptions.DayNightColor=0
VideoInOptions[0].NightOptions.GlareInhibition=0
VideoInOptions[0].NightOptions.IrisAuto=false
VideoInOptions[0].NightOptions.SwitchMode=0
VideoInOptions[0].NightOptions.WideDynamicRange=0
VideoInOptions[0].NightOptions.WideDynamicRangeMode=0

VideoInOptions[0].WideDynamicRangeMode=0

If anyone tries this setting, please post back if you notice an improvement.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I found turning that on with the CGI above and turning the WDR on and up to 5 made it almost as good as it was before the update.
Be Safe
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

Damn, yet another post vanished into thin air after clicking submit. WTF is wrong with this forum code?

Anyway - Thanks Revo for trying this out! I agree, enabling WDR does improve the image along with auto-iris enabled. For me, the lower 2 setting was slightly better, but I will reserve judgment later this afternoon. That's when the sun lowers directly into the doorbell view through breaks in the trees. This is exactly the situation where WDR can be the most beneficial.

Sure is odd that it took enabling auto-iris through the API before WDR had any noticeable effect at all.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well now there is many clouds over head and still very bright out. Now WDR has little to no change in current area of view. I will admit it sits back about 3+ feet from my 850EB under a Deck Roof and is all washed out again in all WDR settings. Where before it was much nicer out and loads of sun. So really while it did help if it needs to be changed more and more with WDR on my ever changing weather I would rather have old FW back in place.
Be Safe
BigB42078

Post by BigB42078 »

How are you guys getting to the settings without the app. Tried logging in with <ip_address>/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?. Gives me log in screen. I use admin and my password. And it gives me error bad request. Same what I use to log into the doorbell with tinycam.
GaryOkie

Post by GaryOkie »

If you are expecting to see a web GUI to change settings - there isn't one. Your credentials are correct, but the abbreviated URL wasn't. You use the API to change specific settings, such as this:
<ip_address>/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInOptions[0].IrisAuto=true

and contrary to what was previously mentioned, the WDR in this doorbell still isn't working properly. What we saw earlier with some improvement was not consistent during the day.