AD110 Doorbell Persistent Night Vision Off

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: AD110 Doorbell Persistent Night Vision Off

Post by Revo2Maxx »

That is a Great Transformer little over kill... I also have a 100va 24vac transformer a few really.. While I did use it and I have loaned it out to prove a point about some of my friends doorbell camera being under powered... Just remember that all doorbells don't take 24vac so you will want to double check with your doorbell unless your going to use this as standalone then it don't matter... For your transformer the good news is that it don't need anything other then 2 wires in for 110vac and 2 wires out for the 24vac.. There are some others out there that can be confusing with 4 terminals and having to wire them 1 way for high amps or another way for low amps lol So you made a good choice to make it easy...

Edit: only 1 thing that worries me is that it does have a Circuit Breaker built in and while I have not checked to see if it would trip a unit with one and only Transformer I have with one is at my place in Washington and not going to drive there anytime soon.. I am wondering if it might see the button being pushed as a Short in the system and trip that breaker? I will wait to hear how things go when you get it all installed...
Be Safe.
pcabral

Post by pcabral »

I got it for only $12 on eBay (NOS) so if it doesn't work out it's no big deal. But the doorbell chime coils/actuators should provide enough of a resistance that the breaker does not trip I would hope.... we will see I guess when it comes in. As for it's size... your right it is overkill. My hope was to purchase another of these doorbells for my back slider to cover the back yard, so one of theses should be enough to handle both.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Very good on the Idea for 2, a larger Transformer... Was something that I had a debate with a Friend when he bought his second one and tried to tell me it was bad.. I tried to tell him it wasn't bad but was an issue with not enough power getting to it.. He was like if that was the case the other one would stop working.. Sadly it would work because of the way he made the connection while the system was live. The other one was already Charged up and in working order so when the power was pulled down.. So I told him to turn off the Front and only leave the back and it would work.. I then took him my 100va transformer so he could use it until he got one to replace it... When I went to go get mine back from him he had found a VERY large over kill CCTV transformer that was designed to work on a PDU that was 16vac 100va Altronix that is over 6amps of current lol however he has never had an issue at night or day with either of the camera doorbells lol.. He was like maybe he will buy a 3rd seeing he has enough power lol...
Be Safe.
pcabral

Post by pcabral »

Took forever but I received my new transformer today.... 24vac 100va (4.16a) and guess what.... the damn thing still power cycles once night vision turns on. I guess at this point I can only assume it's defective and wait for my replacement to arrive and swap it out.

I tested the doorbell ringer a few times and did not trip the the built-in circuit breaker on the transformer in case you wanted to know.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Awesome glad to hear the Transformer won't trip the breaker on the doorbell camera.. I will keep it on my list of items to get and test for a few of my friends that I know would or could benefit from a better transformer.. Infact one of them is still using my 100va 24vac transformer on his unit.. His has been working without issue with the new Transformer.. Sorry to hear it didn't help your cycle issue...

Anyway you can take a picture of the Wiring that is connecting to the doorbell camera? Would love to see what type of wire it is maybe you can see from writing in the basement or some area where it is ran the type of wire and gauge of wire? Also do you happen to know the distance between the transformer and camera and doorbell? Total distance not just from transformer to doorbell unless you are working without a doorbell then just to the camera?
Be Safe.
pcabral

Post by pcabral »

Received the replacement unit today and swapped out the doorbell and chime unit. Still reboots once the IR turns on.... though this one cycles every 4 minutes instead every 2 minutes. So maybe the capacitors can store more energy on this new one?!?
pcabral

Post by pcabral »

Cable length is roughly 25-30 ft and it's a Honeywell Thermostat cable 4710 2c18

Basically 2 solid 18 gage copper wires.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sadly it is hard to tell.. On 18awg wire there is no reason at that distance 2 camera would be cycling like this.. That 100va transformer could power 2 of them in its own right...

You don't by chance happen to have a Multi meter that has the ability to test AMPS.. While it could be done on a normal multi meter only issue is that when testing it should not be done for extended period of time so it would be best to use a Clamp Meter that can test the amps.. Also if you happen to have a Multi meter it would be nice to know what your 24vac 100va shows when you have it running day and night...

For testing vac set meter to test AC voltage and set to 100vac or 200vac depending on your meter or might be Auto Ranging then just set to AC... Test when it is normal day time what the VOLT is at the meter and then again at the Doorbell... Not as easy but testing at the Camera would be very nice as well.. However it can be tricky to get to the wires behind the camera I know...

So Next thing is what happens if you run your doorbell camera straight though without having it connected to the inside doorbell system? To do this you would need to turn off the power to the doorbell, Then Remove the T and the F and use a Wire nut to Make them connect, Then take the Chime Box that came with the camera and put it on the transformers 2 terminals.. Just make sure they are connecting to the Low Voltage side of the Transformer.

Only thing to do after this.. Run new wiring from Transformer or if you have the other one that you had before get some 16awg or if you have some 16awg speaker wiring laying around use your old transformer on the Camera by it self with the Chime Box that came with the camera connected at the back of the camera or even the terminals of the transformer and see if running it straight without an inside doorbell is the issue.. I am guessing it is...
Be Safe.
pcabral

Post by pcabral »

These are the measurements I got today from the transformer:

24vac - 60hz
IR on - 0.2089a
IR off - 0.1487a

Also tried disconnecting the nutone chime and only having the chime kit connected and it made no difference.

The amperage seems low but maybe that's how AC current is reported when the meter is connected in-line from common and amperage connectors on the multimeter.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Please remember to look at your Doorbell because some people mis understand the Voltage for these at times...

Most doorbells work with 10vac or 16vac there are some not many that able to work with 24vac.. It will say that at 16vac Transformer can have a voltage from 18 to 22vac that is for Voltage drop... However most 24vac will be anywhere form 24 to 26.5 vac before load I have seen some has high as 28vac some of them have to be careful for what your using them on because they might be out of the range...

A Amcrest Camera can work with 16 or 24vac so for the camera Volts are ok.. Doorbell unknown.. Need to test Voltage at Transformer, Camera, and doorbell for a good idea of where an issue is..
Be Safe.