AD110 does not work with existing chime

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
null101

AD110 does not work with existing chime

Post by null101 »

I'm having similar trouble with my existing chime as mentioned in other threads, but figured I would start a new thread as to not mix the different issues.

I'm able to get the AD110 working fine when bypassing the existing Hampton Bay digital chime. But when I connect the existing chime (including the chime kit), the chime rings continuously and the AD110 never fully powers on. The AD110 looks like it is getting power (the round LED is lit), but it never says "connected to wifi" (and obviously doesn't show up in the app).

While the chime and chime kit is wired in, I've tried pushing the reset button, which doesn't result in anything. And holding the reset button, which after about 15 seconds, the round LED blinks once, but then goes back to it's same state (LED is on, but no wifi connected message).

Also, I contacted support via phone, nice lady on the phone, kind of hard to understand, helped me with some basic troubleshooting, but ultimately said that she would need to escalated to "smart home product team". I'm also in contact with support via email, they suggested some basic troubleshooting steps as well, but have now gone dark. No responses from them for about 5 days, that's why I'm posting here.

I have a new 16V 30VA transformer, shows 18.1V at the doorbell location with no load. What is the chime kit supposed to do? Does it create or prevent the voltage drop across the chime to the AD110? Some kind of bypass for the power?

Does anyone know how much power the AD110 needs to operate? Voltage/VA/watts/amps? Anything would be helpful in troubleshooting. I bought a 24V 20VA transformer, but really don't see how it'll help.

Thanks for any responses.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: AD110 does not work with existing chime

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Sadly your 24vac 20va wouldn't be enough power to keep this working in night time it would or could power the system at the day time but would really over work the transformer...

First this is what I would do...

Disconnect the Doorbell and wait 2 minutes and by then the power light on the button should be off and all power form the Camera drained.. While you have done this waiting connect your Button back to your doorbell and test that when you push the button it does infact make the doorbell function as it was designed to if going wired.. If you used it as a Wireless then you would need to short the 2 wires together for a short time and would give the same idea as a button was pushed... Door Bell rings Great.. If it don't ring you need to go to doorbell HB and change it to Wired format... Also might need to make sure if it is going by a Set of tones that it does the full ring on a Short connection of the normal bell button... If it only starts the ring tone but don't finish then it still isn't getting all the power needed to function...

Then if you were able to put in button or tap the 2 wires together to get the indoor system to Chime right... Connect the Door bell camera back to the wires, Once it charges up and your camera makes the first response setup the camera to your Wifi...

There is a Button on your Doorbell that is for Reset and when you have the issue you had people have just Preset that button to cure it not pressing the Reset on the camera as that will make it so you have to set it all back up... Sadly at times in the App you will have to tell the app that it is a different type of doorbell then you really have to make the system work. This could be because while a doorbell is Looking Mechanical it is really Digital inside... or while it is Digital looking works off Mechanical theory...
Be Safe.
null101

Post by null101 »

Thank you for the response and suggestions!

The doorbell is all hardwired. My old doorbell button is broken, so I shorted the two wires together. I get a "ring" from the chime, it'll keep ringing until I disconnected the shorted wires.

So, I made the sure light was off and connected back the AD110, the HB chime continues to ring nonstop. I did not know the AD110 need to charge up. How long does it take to charge up? It's been connected (and charging) for 20+ minutes now. (Family is getting tired of the constant ringing). After 20 minutes the AD110 doesn't seem to be ready to use or setup again. I pressed the reset button on the AD110 and did not get a prompt to setup again. Tried holding it for 10 seconds, the led blinks once, but returns to the same state.

I tried all the chime options in the app, mechanical and digital. Since, I cannot change it while the HB chime is connected, I have to switch wiring to bypass chime, set the chime option in the app, then rewire to HB chime and chime kit.... then repeat with the other chime option. No luck changing chime options.

I'm not sure if this matters, but I checked the voltage at the AD110 location with and without the HB chime and chime kit connected.

Bypass HB chime, 18V (AD110 works fine)
HB chime and chime kit connected, ~12.4V
HB chime and no chime kit, ~12.4V

Do you know how much voltage the AD110 unit requires to work/charge? And what is the expected behavior of the chime kit? My test shows the chime it seems to have no affect on the voltage.

BTW: I got a response from support about 30 minutes after I posted this. They had me change the chime options in the app.

Thanks
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hummm That is very odd Min to make the Doorbell camera work in mode of Doorbell camera is 16v 30va this can be about .10x aka about 1.6v - or +

So it is strange that with the system connected you have such a large Voltage drop!? What type of wiring do you have on your home for the doorbell camera? Most times systems were under wired and people don't seem to care but I have seen some people using a pair of cat 3 trying to wire up these cameras and sadly this is not good to be honest anything over a few feet from transformer should be in 18awg wire or better...

Chime box with Amcrest Doorbell is needed at the Chime.. sadly it is kind of a Suppression unit or Shock Absorbent device and without it could cause damage to the Doorbell camera... What I don't understand unless there was some type of short there should be no reason the Chime is going off all the time... I say this because without the camera system works as expected... Did you on the CHIME HB chime there is a Reset button did you try and press that.. Not the one that changes the Tones but should be a Reset under the tone button

The Charge up that I am talking about just like the Discharge when you first connect the Camera up you will see it takes a little bit of time before the Light on the Doorbell starts to light or the system says anything... That is because unlike other devices this has 2 Super Capacitors in side to keep the Camera going when someone presses the doorbell button... In a Since this is causing a Short in the Camera and if someone was to hold the DOORBELL button for a good length of time like some people like to do when they go pressing the button over and over trying to get someones attention lol... Anyway

When you make a connection at the Camera have you mounted it or have you left it free falling for testing... The Waga clip is only 1 wire connection clip not designed for the pair so if you are using that to try and connect the pair of wires then yes your doorbell would go off because it would be like the button is full time pushed...
Be Safe.
null101

Post by null101 »

Sorry my fault. The ~12.4V reading at the doorbell location was with the AD110 connected. I had a helper and he was probing behind the AD110 unit with both wires still attached to the unit. I took the wires off and now getting 17.4V at the doorbell location with HB chime (and chime kit) connected, so within .10x as you mentioned. Also, checked all visible wiring at the doorbell location for possible damage, found no damage. It's 18awg, run is about 25 feet from the transformer to the HB chime, then about another 15 feet to the video doorbell.

At doorbell location:
Bypass HB chime, 18V (AD110 works fine)
HB chime and chime kit connected, 17.4V
HB chime and no chime kit, 17.4V

I found and pressed the reset button on the HB chime unit. From what I understand, it's for resetting the wireless button. Nevertheless, I pressed it, also tried holding it (about 10 secs) until it beeped once. Tried pressing both button simultaneously, pressed once, held for 15 secs, every combination I could think of. That didn't fix either, thanks for the suggestion.

Also, I found a single waga connector in the box. I wasn't sure what it was for (never seen one before), I figured it was a connector to join wires together (similar to a screw on connector). I didn't make use of it, since I had enough wiring at the doorbell location. The video doorbell was free falling for test, it's off the wires now.

Any way to test the chime kit? It's kind of strange how it's connected, I would think if it was to protect something, it would be connected in line (or in serial).

Thanks for the explanations and your help.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

To test the CHIME KIT? Hummm

To be honest I am not 100% sure how this thing is made or what or how to Test it... Seeing there are only 2 wires that is going to the unit I am going to guess there is come Complex Circuit inside that would consist of a Bridge Rectifier, some Diodes, Caps, a good hand full set of resistors and a few maybe 3 or 4 different components or as others might call them IC chips... I am sure there is going to be a IC Relay as there is no Clicking but this type of system would use a Relay and not all relays have to be Clicking types there are IC types... Then there would be I would guess a TI aka Texas Instrument Comparator or other IC that would really need to be tested with a Scope and sadly not sure this unit would be able to be tested without doing it at the Component level... Inside of that component there is a total of around 25 to 35 components inside a Micro IC chip that would be a large box if it was done without being in a IC chip...

Trying to wrap my head around why your camera works without the chime and the chime works without the camera... Problem is when you make a connection to the camera without chime unit installed if there was a short in the camera it wouldn't work with or without the HB chime installed...

Only thing I can think now is that you don't have it installed it was free falling so my next thought of it being shorted on the metal backplate isn't the issue...

I guess in the End it might be that the HB unit you have isn't able to work with the Camera Dooebell system... Maybe was one that was found not able to work? They have many many different units from OLD to new Strange for sure...
Be Safe.
null101

Post by null101 »

Thanks for your reply. I guess I can try a new chime from the local store. I'm trying to avoid buying and returning something just to try it. The chime I have now is the HB-7612-02 listed on the Amcrest doorbell compatibility list.

Only possible thing I can think of what I did wrong was that I initially connected the video doorbell without the chime. Once it was working, I disconnected the video doorbell and added the chime and chime kit, but I did not shut off the power to the transformer. Maybe I shorted some electronic in the doorbell or chime kit?? It's a stretch.

Like you said, it "appears" the HB chime is working properly and the AD110 is working properly (when connected independent of each other). Only thing I can't say for sure is the chime kit.

I'm still waiting on tech support to respond since the last email a day ago.. hopefully, they will just jump to issuing me an RMA for an exchange. I'm averaging about 1 email per 2 days from support, at this rate, I may be back at work (in the office) before the RMA. ;)

Thanks
null101

Post by null101 »

Quick question for the community. My chime can run on wired power or battery power. Tech support asked if I have tried replacing the batteries in the chime. I never had batteries in the chime, since it was hardwired to the transformer. Can I add batteries and hardwire at the same time? I would think that would be bad.

Then I saw this video from Amcrest:
https://youtu.be/RWxDH6Ap4FQ?list=PLlD2 ... NZiI&t=191

I have the same chime unit.. the video clearly shows batteries in the chime, with hardwiring. The HB chime manual clearly states not to install batteries if hardwired to a transformer.

Thanks
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Well with the World as we have it today your RMA might take a little longer and I am sure they are giving some Grace to the ability to replaced defective units... At least one would hope...

Thought about something... While it works without doorbell,, and camera works without chime I wonder if you have for kicks tried to wire this rather to the Front seeing it isn't working there have your tried maybe wiring it to the Back connection and see if that makes things work... It could be that for what ever reason there is voltage being seen from doorbell on the F and T but maybe if it was moved from F to B maybe it would work? While I know that it would be nice to keep the Front on the Front but would keep from having to buy and test a new unit if it was something as easy as some short inside the chime...

Lots of people don't understand how these chimes work... Kind of like the Doorbell camera and amcrest Chime Kit... There will be Circuits inside the HB that will take your AC volts and change them over to DC voltage... This would be in a Bridge Rectifier... Then there is going to be no less then a Voltage Regulator, some type of Relay, some type of Music Chip and then there is going to be a sound board that will take the input from volume control nob plus all the extra Resistors and Caps and things like that to make the circuits work... Unlike the old DING DONG units that only has 2 tone bars and 1 or 2 actuators... THE HB does have more going on then some might think...

I am going to guess that the Battery being installed because the second location a Button is placed for maybe back door is wireless and while the unit will work over a Wired system it can work with both type in some cases... Meaning you could have Wired at your Front door and back door could have the Wireless Button to access the HB unit by Remote. So batteries would need to be installed
Be Safe.
null101

Post by null101 »

Funny you mentioned that.. I had the same thought to use the Rear connection on the HB chime. No luck there either. Also tried it with batteries installed... no luck. Once I installed the batteries, I tried resetting the chime, resetting the doorbell, changed to Rear connection (then reset chime/doorbell)... nothing changed, same results.

Tech support thinks chime kit may be bad and asked to begin the RMA process.

Thanks.