AD110 broken?

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
MisterA

AD110 broken?

Post by MisterA »

Hi,

I was setting up my AD110 doorbell, and trying to integrate it into Home Assistant.
I was planning on powering the doorbell once installed at my door by 24V AC.

To configure the AD110, I took it to my desk and powered it with my lab power supply with 24V DC, which worked.
However all of a sudden it didn't. The doorbell went offline and on my lab power supply I could see the voltage dropped to 2.4V, but the amps rose to 5.5A. Seems a short more or less.

I then tried powering it with the 24V AC transformer which I installed in my fusebox, but the transformer became really hot and after a few minutes the AD110 still wasn't booted.

Could it be that I have accidently enabled a mechanical chime in the app while powering the device with DC voltage? Since the chime kit and a mechanical chime only work on AC? Could this have damaged the device?

Best regards,
Mr. A
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: AD110 broken?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum

It does in fact sound like the camera has had a OVER Current under voltage events and as such killed the Doorbell.

While working with DC it is best to use 12v for the doorbell. It really was designed to work with AC voltage and wasn't until I bought the AD410 that I personally even found out that the AD110 would even work on DC. I mean I knew the inner Board would with 5vdc however that board wasn't open to public use like the AD410 was released with the MicroUSB slot..

So how can one tell the Micro USB slot on the back is under the Plate, there is a tape kind of over the port it is very thin but strong plastic over a hole that can use a MICRO C connector. If you power that with a 5vdc 2amp power supply has to be a good not a Cheap knock off 5vdc if it powers up the camera then the damage was kept to the cameras Power Board.

However with all that said if the camera was bought from Amcrest or a Reseller that is Auth by Amcrest I would personally request a replacement and or if it falls in the return for replacement time from the seller either way never try to change things within the camera while it is in Warranty...

If not in Warranty then the good news is that it isn't that hard to repair the issue if you found it to be only inner power board. You or your Repair person will need a good Soldering station and best to use Micro Soldering Iron or a good SMD tip for a normal one. The parts are very small so use of a Microscope would be best however not 100% needed with skill.
Here to help the best I can.
Be Safe
MisterA

Re: AD110 broken?

Post by MisterA »

Sure enough: I removed the backplate and found the micro USB connector. The bell powered straight up when connected to 5v through it.
The powerboard must have died.