[AD410] Lost the ability to RTSP video at 30 FPS

This Forum its to discuss the new Smart Home Devices.
colorbars

[AD410] Lost the ability to RTSP video at 30 FPS

Post by colorbars »

I normally use my AD410 strictly locally. A few days ago I allowed it and the smartphone app to connect to the internet and was informed that there was a firmware update. Unfortunately I accepted it. After the update I was only receiving a 15 FPS video feed from the RTSP server. I tried resetting the frame rate through both the ConfigTool and the API but it won't go any higher than 15 FPS. I downgraded the firmware back to the next most recent version from https://amcrest.com/firmware-ash but that didn't work either. I don't know what the original firmware was, but I got the unit back in March 2023. Is there anything I can do to get the 30 FPS rate back? 15 FPS looks like crap.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: [AD410] Lost the ability to RTSP video at 30 FPS

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the Forum. Not sure why or what makes you think that the camera was doing more then 15 FPS. I have had the same cameras since it came out and every FW that was used has always been the same FPS 15.. Now you might have been using a software that has MAX FPS or Visual FPS for live feeds but the camera hardware was build with 15 fps.. Now some people think that camera in Bi can be tricked into being higher again this isn't the case the Hardware only does 15 so no software will make it do anything better then it was built to do.

I will admit that I thought maybe they were running it in 1080p format so I went to try on my own AD410 and no dice.. SO looking up the Specs on the camera

Resolution Selection Main Stream: High – 2k(2560*1920) @ 15fps, Medium – 1080P
(1440*1080) @ 15fps
Be Safe.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

However I will admit that I just looked up the CHIP that is on the Doorbell camera and only info I can find is for 4k at 30fps. However there is no telling what or why someone built the camera to the specs that it is. Might be space issues or other hardware parts missing from the device. Personally I don't know. I will admit at one time I thought it was doing 20fps however was never able to get it back to that again. Have loads of cameras so maybe i was using different camera specs..

Here is the data from my AD410 all same besides the XXX's in my SN.
appAutoStart=true
deviceType=AD410
hardwareVersion=1.00
processor=SSC339
serialNumber=Z175XXXXXXXXX
updateSerial=DB6I
Be Safe.
colorbars

Post by colorbars »

I can tell you with certainty I had it running at 30 FPS. I even stepped through frame by frame and counted them just to be absolutely sure. But you don't have to take my word for it. I've uploaded a sample that anyone can check if they're curious.

https://www.filemail.com/d/smrnciyeiytxktx

The link will expire on Dec 30.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I take your word for it. I just don't know why or how? As I said at one time I swear mine was at 20fps. However looking over the data on the website for the camera it says 15 and that is what it is now and has been for some time. Maybe finding the old FW you were using at the time it worked at 30fps is the way to go. I can't say I know where to get it. if you were to ask Amcrest they are going to tell you that the camera is 15 fps. Plus it is a 5mp camera and most are 15 fps or some are even 20 fps not many have been 30fps even some of the more costly ones I have looked through have been 15fps. I didn't look at your filemail video. If it was on youtube that is one thing.
Be Safe.
colorbars

Post by colorbars »

I understand. Thanks anyway. Putting it on Youtube would be of little use since they transcode anything that's uploaded. I'll keep working on it and I'll update the thread if I find anything.
colorbars

Post by colorbars »

I finally get back to working on fixing the problem and I can report success!

With the help of Eli from support (thanks Eli!) I received a copy of the 20210220 firmware for my AD410 and flashed it. Then I just needed to send the reconfiguration command:

http://<cams-ip-address>/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&Encode[0].MainFormat[0].Video.FPS=30

Bingo. 30 FPS restored.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Awesome glad to hear you got the fw you wanted and the code worked for you now.. What is odd is that the listing still states it is a 15fps cameras.
Screenshot (1394).png
Screenshot (1394).png (305.44 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
Be Safe.
colorbars

Post by colorbars »

It's not odd at all. With either of the two currently publicly available firmwares the camera won't go above 15 FPS. I have to think that what's shipping with new units is one of those. You have to somehow acquire the very old firmware from almost 3 years ago to get 30 FPS.

Now WHY they're apparently deliberately limiting the functionality of the camera is another story, but this isn't the only feature they're doing that with. For example, see the post by M3knight here: https://amcrest.com/forum/amcrest-smart ... fd07fcd59b

I also forgot to mention that the clock was not syncing with the newer firmware, but that's working again with the 2021 firmware as well. It might have something to do with my using a custom server but I don't know.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Post by Revo2Maxx »

I don't know, For kicks I DL and installed the FW and sure enough it did change the camera from 15fps as Max to 30fps as max. I am running it at 22fps as I do all my cameras that are able to run 30..

Personally I don't know why they would do this? Maybe hardware stability.

However I hate to say it. In the case of the camera Size Matters. With my years of Electroncis background my theory on this is because the size of the camera, lack of Heat sink and all things like that.. Seeing increasing the frames per second FPS, on a CCTV camera can contribute to higher heat generation because it requires more processing power to capture and transmit a greater number of frames. Because of the limited size and construction material used for the camera and lack of cooling mechanisms. I am going to guess that is why they left it at 15fps.. People have already said in normal 15fps that the camera is blistering hot. Right now it is cold out and today right now trying to snow. So short time I ran it at 22fps I am sure I don't have to worry about it much. However over the long run. You might want to keep an eye on your Doorbell camera. people have already had battery issues related to bloated battery.

Be Safe.
Be Safe.