SpaceX Starlink - Camera not found

Have some questions or having issues with Amcrest Cloud? Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
lakehouse

SpaceX Starlink - Camera not found

Post by lakehouse »

Hi

I have 3 cameras installed via powerline adapters for almost 2 years now, and they have worked mostly flawlessly through a local WISP provider.

We have just received our Starlink kit, and now all 3 cameras are 'not found' via Amcrestcloud.

I have tried bypassing the Starlink router by using its 2nd ethernet port -> wan port on my original router.
I have also tried connecting Starlink directly to my original router.

I have tried to do some research and found the Starlink uses a commercial grade Nat but to be honest I don't really know what that means.

Any insight?
longedge
Site Admin

Re: SpaceX Starlink - Camera not found

Post by longedge »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

If you google "cgnat for ip cameras" you will find lots of information. It boils down to the fact that you no longer have a unique IP address on the internet. Your connection is handled by Starlinks NAT (network address translation).

Have you connected/setup your cameras via P2P? If not then that would be the first thing to try although I'm not sure that the system is sufficiently responsive to cope with constant IP changes. It may be necessary for you to look into setting up a VPN connection but the question is how rapidly do IP address changes occur within the Starlink network. I see that there is a Starlink forum and perhaps this is a question best raised there :) .
My AMCREST Cameras:-
2 x IP3M-941B firmware V2.620.00AC00.3.R, Build Date: 2019-12-18
1 x IP2M-841B firmware V2.420.AC00.18.R, Build Date: 2019-08-03