Connect cameras to PoE switch to enable Cloud storage?

Have some questions or having issues with Amcrest Cloud? Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you.
gtomike

Connect cameras to PoE switch to enable Cloud storage?

Post by gtomike »

I have (4) cameras, (3) PoE and (1) Wi-Fi connected to my NVR. Everything records and plays back perfectly. I want to use the Amcrest Cloud for storage while away on vacation, which requires me to disconnect the cameras from the NVR and plug them into an Amcrest PoE switch (AMPS9E8P-AT-96). I don't exactly understand why I have to do this as I'm sure the NVR (NV4108E-HS) can power them because that's how they're connected now, but the switch eliminates the need for an NVR if I choose to maintain the cloud service without using my NVR. Both the NVR and PoE switch are connected to separate ports on my 4-port router. I think this arrangement, with both the NVR and PoE switch being connected to the router and the cameras being connected to the PoE switch allows my NVR to maintain the ability to record while the data is also being sent to the Cloud. When I test this out by moving one PoE camera from the NVR to the PoE switch, the camera disappears from my Amcrest ViewPro (iPhone) and my Amcrest Surveillance Pro (iMac Desktop), and also the monitor that's directly connected to the NVR. It looks like the PoE switch is not communicating properly to the router. When I check my router status using the My Spectrum App (Internet provider) it shows the PoE switch being connected (wired) but no IP address is assigned. What do I need to fix this so my cameras can send their data to the Amcrest Cloud using the PoE switch? There is a slide switch on the front of the PoE switch with VLAN On/Off choices. What should this be? (I tried it both ways and didn't see any difference). If I need to reboot my entire system I want to make sure I've done everything else that needs to be done first. This arrangement using the NVR and the PoE switch worked perfectly together for many years until recently, when I was required by Spectrum to install their new model modem and router. Now I can't seem to get the PoE switch to work within the system as it used to.
Thanks for any help on this.
Revo2Maxx
Site Admin

Re: Connect cameras to PoE switch to enable Cloud storage?

Post by Revo2Maxx »

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Not 100% sure why you would want to do this. From what I know about the Cloud anything over 1 camera cost money to have connected to cloud. If you have a NVR for storage already and you are worried about someone breaking into the location and stealing the footage. 2 Things. First your NVR is in a location that isn't hidden and should be vacation or not. Second if you have another computer in your home. Again a place that is hidden from easy access. It would be best to setup a FTP to your NVR and cameras.
However if you have to have your Cameras on the Cloud. Then the best way to do this from a POE connected NVR is to make sure the cameras area connected (Setup) with DHCP enabled. Then when you remove the cameras from NVR and put on your Router the Router will hand out the IP to the camera. If you have it setup as Static then the camera were giving (guessing) 10.1.1.xx Ip range and that is why when you remove from your NVR and put on the Amcrest POE Switch there is no access to the Internet, NVR, or camera because it is outside the Normal Local Network range.

What is the best way to have your Vlan on or off. Choose Off. With it off it will let the cameras have access to the local network VLan is good if you don't want it on the same IP range as your local network..

Fastest and easy way to make change to your cameras. With them connected to your NVR. log into the NVR's Ip address using Chrome (best option is IE) However if Using Chrome it will require a reboot before you will be able to access all the cameras.. Log into the NVR's IP, Then top left click Management, Camera, then in the bottom window will be your connected cameras. On the right will be Normally e under Webbrowser click the e for the last camera in your list. This will bring up a page that says it failed because the port is bad (This is if using Chrome) 10080 has been marked bad port in Chrome for some odd reason. Now back to the camera box tab and click the e for the first camera it will now load in 10081 and show a log in page for the camera. Put in the cameras user and pass info and then click setup, Network, TCP/IP and change in there from Static to DHCP and save. Then do the rest of them the same way. Once you get back to the last camera reboot the NVR. This time start with the camera you have already setup to DHCP first time to get the message on 10080 with the error. This way you can change the last camera that you started with the first time. So after you get that error page for the 10080 click on that camera you started with the first time and it will give it 10081 this time around and you can log in and make that change to that camera. Once they are changed and you put on your POE switch the Router should hand out the IP to the camera and it will be on the Normal Network range that will now have accesss to the Internet and cloud system..
Be Safe.