Motion Detection Playback is Choppy

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Lucy777

Motion Detection Playback is Choppy

Post by Lucy777 »

So I've had my Amcrest camera now for about 4 months, just recently starting about a week ago now I noticed when I go to the 'playback' section and check motion detect on videos it is very inconsistent now.

It will start out fine but then maybe skip ahead 4-8 seconds rapidly, and the person that was triggering the motion detection will appear to be skipping around. Even looking up at the timer it will go from say 08:00:40 - 08:00:45 - 08:00:49 very quickly, losing seconds of footage that I need to be able to see.

This only seems to happen with motion detection as well, If I manually record a video and then check it, it will be smooth and fine.

Any idea what could be causing this to happen suddenly? I tried formatting the SD card but it is still happening. The SD Card is what I have it set to record to as well.
Morgon

Re: Motion Detection Playback is Choppy

Post by Morgon »

If you download the footage, is it still choppy, or only when streaming? I've noticed some odd behavior of the time slider, but not the skipping around (although most of my footage is fairly static, so it's been hard to tell)
Lucy777

Post by Lucy777 »

Yes I tried downloading it and opened with both media player classic and VLC. Same results and it just does what I described up in the first post.

I'm not really sure what could be causing this all of a sudden, because everything is perfectly fine if I manually record it has smooth playback.
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello Lucy777 ,

Which product do you use? This could be something related to the network speed. Could you try lowering the resolution to 720P under camera settings and see if that makes a difference? I understand it has been working but I believe this is worth giving a try.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Lucy777

Post by Lucy777 »

I use the "Amcrest IP2M-841 ProHD 1080P (1920TVL) WiFi IP Security Camera, Black"

I will try lowering the resolution to 720p and see if the same thing happens then.
Lucy777

Post by Lucy777 »

After lowering the settings to 720p I'm now getting a new error and cannot view the camera at all, in firefox if I sign in it gives the error message: "Resources are limited, failed to play video stream."

Really not sure what could be causing this all of a sudden, nothing has changed since I installed it and my other Wifi devices are working properly with no sign of slowing down.

Speedtest.com has me at 89Mb/12Mb 26 Ping and everything seems fine but the camera really.
Adamm

Post by Adamm »

"Could you try lowering the resolution to 720P under camera settings and see if that makes a difference? I understand it has been working but I believe this is worth giving a try."

THIS ISN'T A FREAKING SOLUTION!

Stop telling people to cripple their systems in order for them to play well together. Fix the problem. I am having the same problem. This isn't a network bandwidth issue. It's an issue with the Amcrest software.
Lucy777

Post by Lucy777 »

I did a factory reset on the camera and everything seems to be back in working order now, I got smooth playback on some motion detection in 1080 earlier so I guess something was just glitched somehow and the reset fixed it.
radardude

Post by radardude »

Melvin,

The idea of having a security system is to record someone in the act of compromizing your security. You buy a hi-rez camera to be able to identify who that someone might be. Most of the outdoor cameras require a ladder to install. The first issue I see here is that the camera dropped sync for some reason or another, not acceptable. The internet is full of Amcrest hardware dropping sync. Secondly, your first recommendation is to drop to a lower rez? Lucy777 had to reset the camera to solve the problem not drop the rez. I have the IP2M-842 cameras so that would require dragging out the ladder to reset the cameras with the two pigtail wires attached to the camera, Amcrest should have put a switch on the back of the camera.

Once the camera is registered with the recorder, there should be an alarm to tell you that you have lost an important part of your security system. Also, it should make an automatic attempt to re-establish contact. Furthermore, you shouldn't have to drag out a ladder to reset something that is still connected to the net. Lucy777's camera was still connected, if I am understanding it correctly, just misbehaving.

Radardude
RedbeardPete

Post by RedbeardPete »

Sad thing is these "seem" to be the nicest cameras of their type, but still have issues like this, and then support says to try 720p. WTF? I have the same issue, same cameras, JUST updated firmware on both of them, and it's recording to SD card. Choppiness is in playback and in video after download so it must be happening at the time of recording. This is very poor when the camera's main function is to record video. Fix it.