128gb SD card only records 4 days footage

Have some questions or having issues with your IP Camera(s), Post them here for the mods and other users to assist you with.
Melvin
Site Admin

Re: 128gb SD card only records 4 days footage

Post by Melvin »

Hello Howardfox72 ,

The 1080P camera when it records at 1080 P resolution can take about 30GB for 24 hrs of recording. What you can do to extend the recording is to lower the resolution in the camera settings to 720P or lower. For this you need to login to the camera web interface from PC and then go to Setup>Camera>Video to change the resolution of the mainstream.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

tonester

Post by tonester »

Wait--I thought I read elsewhere in this forum that the max SD card size these cameras could properly use was 64 GB; I would have bought 128 GB cards instead had it been made officially known that the cameras could properly make use of them.
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello,

The maximum size recommended for the camera is still 64 GB. This is the maximum size where you can get best results from the camera for recording and playback.
Can't find your answer on the forum? Try our Knowledge Base! https://amcrest.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

tonester

Post by tonester »

Thanks Melvin--is it some sort of technological limitation with the recording software/mechanism within the camera itself as to why 64 GB is the max recommended size...or is it just a way for Amcrest to subtlely nudge Amcrest camera owners towards considering to buy one of the Amcrest DVR products? ;-)
Melvin
Site Admin

Post by Melvin »

Hello tonester ,

I believe its a limitation of the hardware of the camera.

tonester

Post by tonester »

Granted that flash cards are relatively inexpensive these days--I'm sorta curious as to how long a SD card can hold up if one configures the camera to continuously record video to it 24x7...i.e., SD card life expectancy since flash cards have a fixed life as far as writes are concerned...
sloanish

Post by sloanish »

I have the following camera
Amcrest ProHD 1080P (2.1MP) WiFi Security IP Camera Model IP2M-841W

I bought 128gb cards for it based on this forum post.
1st tech support call - why not working. Answer was format it.
- I am not on site so I had to have someone bring a PC to the house. It then logged into it remotely and from there to the IP address of the camera. I formatted the card.
Later I found it was not working.
Had to have someone again go to the house and setup a PC.
I logged into it.
2nd tech support call - why not working - Answer: 64 GB is the max card you can use in this camera.
Now I have to buy more cards and have someone for a third time once again go to the house and setup a PC.

Hopefully this post will save others the problem I had.
iHouseServer

Post by iHouseServer »

That's about what I'm getting. To get more storage, setup an at home FTP server with a 4TB drive or buy a NAS device. Your camera will hold the most recent 4 days and your external will have a backup that goes back further.
FTP

Post by FTP »

Hi Howardfox72,
Howardfox72 wrote:I have a 1080 camera with a 128gb SD card installed. It is all working fine...
Can you confirm your card manufacturer, model and specs?
I try to do a small survey of cases where a 128Gb card works fine in a IP2M-841 camera...
https://amcrest.com/forum/technical-dis ... tml#p11190

And sloanish, can you also tell us which card didn't worked?

Thanks! :)
Howardfox72

Post by Howardfox72 »

Hi,

Only back om here because of browser access issue after a Firmware upgrade.

The make I had/have is Sandisk 128gb & 64gb which didnt work over any length of time.